Are you looking for an experienced coach who really understands how individuals tick? Someone who is able to both support and challenge you to dig deep into your own resources and plan strategies which are robust enough to stand the test of time? A coach who is realistic, grounded and practical but also believes in the ability of her clients to bring out the very best of themselves?
My style is warm, open and friendly and I'm told I am extremely good at putting people at their ease. I'm very comfortable with strong emotions and am able to help people move forward when they feel stuck and believe that they have exhausted all the possibilities open to them.
I trained as a coach in 2006 after working in the communications field, the voluntary and public sector for many years. I have managed a number of teams. I support the value of open, clear communications and negotiation skills, to get the very best out of relationships. Whether that's with your reports, colleagues, partners, relatives, children, other volunteers or committee members.
I am passionate about the power of coaching to help people find their own solutions and I continue to be thrilled at the difference coaching makes to people's lives. I have worked with clients from an extremely wide range of backgrounds. This includes people who are:
- Considering branching out into a new business and want to thoroughly consider the positives and the pitfalls (especially people in the second half of their careers)
- Returning to the workplace after breakdowns, illness or time out to have a family, and needing to reignite their confidence and leadership skills
- Wanting to clarify and improve relationship issues - with children, parents, friends and partners. My approach is non-judgmental and very open-minded. I often work with LGBT clients.
- Struggling with complex, sensitive or hostile situations with colleagues or personal contacts
- Seeking to identify new passions and interests to broaden horizons, whether for new career paths, ways to relieve stress, or preparing for fulfilling retirements
- Looking for new focus in their careers as artists, writers and performers
- Faced with difficult decisions and need to be clear of their own values and priorities
- Plagued by procrastination and need to identify strategies which are robust and unique to their individual strengths
- Working in the media and are managing the pressures of short term contracts and competitive environments
- Working in the voluntary and public sector at a time when funding is creating many challenges and changes to ways of working
- Returning to education as adults. I have worked with a number of clients doing Phds who struggle with the challenges of managing their time and meeting deadlines.
- On the autistic spectrum and need a coach who understands that great minds don't think alike
- Have experienced depression, mental health and past trauma (I am not a therapist - and am very clear about that - but I am experienced in working with strong emotions and 'borders of therapy' issues, where an understanding of mental health issues is helpful to the client)
- In their teens or early twenties, including young people who are leaving care, preparing for university, experiencing crisis in their careers, lack of personal confidence, and relationship issues
- Feeling that there are not alternatives and that nothing can change. (You'd be surprised how many clients feel like that, but being stuck is fine. There's always a new perspective which will help you move forward.)
Job application and interview skills
I also help individuals to develop and polish the skills they need for putting across the very best of themselves in job applications and interviews. I taught interview skills for many years - both for jobs, but also for television and radio, and I help individuals to prepare thoroughly, identify and rehearse questions they are likely to be asked and prepare strategies for coping with the unexpected. I also offer de-briefings after interviews to help clients identify what they did well, what they might do differently next time, and to decide whether or not they want to take the job.
'I was almost phobic about giving interviews but you helped me get the job I really wanted. I didn't think that was possible.' (former client)
Confidence and communication skills
I have run courses in communication skills for many years and helped many individuals to develop these skills- including learning how to create rapport, learning how to really listen, understanding negotiation, effective use of body language, tips for improving networking skills, writing and giving speeches and presentations. Alongside this I teach people how to develop their own style of confidence - which is not about being brash, but builds comfortably on their own personality. Introverts can be just as confident as anyone else. I've also supported and advised people in situations where they are managing or working alongside people who are
'You helped me cope with a very difficult situation - it was all so delicate. I felt so alone but you gave me strategies and helped me realise that I had a right to ask for help from the senior team. I felt more confident that I was doing OK, that I was a good manager.' (Former client, who was a team manager in an international policy organisation)
I can also help you to learn some useful coaching skills to create more effective communications, and get better outcomes. Whether that's with your team at work, with your partner, your children, your colleagues on the committee or the
Contact me to set up an initial conversation about what you're looking for, and what I can offer.
Finding the right coach for you is absolutely essential, so there's absolutely no pressure to work with me. You have to decide what is right for you.
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained in 2006 with Coaching Development, a highly respected professional coach training organisation. Its in-depth training courses are accredited by the only globally recognised professional coaching body -the International Coach Federation (ICF). I am accredited by the ICF as a Professionally Certified Coach (PCC)
As part of my continuing professional development, I am regularly coached by colleagues and have supervision with a coach and therapist. I also mentor other coaches. I continue to learn from my peers, and relish the sharing of learning.
Diploma in Coaching – Part I (Professional Coaching Skills) and Part II (Mastery)
Advanced Coach training includes:
- Mediation Skills for Coaches
- Coaching ‘relationships’ in the workplace (working with staff in conflict)
- Challenging Coaching – how to get the best from top-level staff
- TA101 Introduction to Transactional Analysis
- TA202 The Dynamics of Professional Relationships and Mirrors to the Self
- Somatic Cognitive Coaching - the role of the body in coaching
- Mindfulness for Coaches – techniques to share with clients
- Coaching and the interface with therapy
Before training as a coach I worked for many years in PR, media, and communications training. With 30 years experience as a freelancer I have worked on hundreds of short term projects, and was known for my ability to 'hit the ground running'. I have also managed a number of projects on an interim basis. I also gave many radio and tv interviews for clients and started training other people in these skills. I have written many books about adoption, fostering and the impact of trauma on children's lives.
Areas of coaching I deal with
Other areas of coaching I deal with
- Managing conflict
- Managing difficult people
- Interview skills
- Identifying values and priorities
- Returning to work
- Voluntary sector
- Media, radio and television
Photos & videos
I have a sliding scale of fees depending on whether I am working with corporate, executive or life coaching clients.
For individuals (life coaching) my fee is normally £80 an hour but this can vary depending on whether we are meeting for face to face coaching or working online or by phone.
I also offer some concessions.
I believe passionately in the power of coaching. I have invested heavily in developing my skills but at the same time I want to make coaching as accessible as possible to individuals.
'I was fortunate enough to find Henrietta at a time when I was at my most confused and spending swathes of time procrastinating. Henrietta has an amazing way of helping you find the path again, to set achievable goals and to finally feel that you're making progress.’
Ann Brown, Celebrant, Actor/Director
Henrietta asks the difficult questions and probes for those issues and problems that made me feel uncomfortable, but are necessary to find the right solutions. She works incredibly hard to provide the right support and helped me to move on when I was looking for new direction in my career.'
Julie Ingham, Marketing and Communications Manager at National Day Nurseries Association
'Having worked at the sharp-end of national broadcasting, I thought I knew how to handle difficult people. But I was having real problems dealing with an awkward and clingy work associate. So I contacted Henrietta, and it was like viewing my messy dilemma through a crystal-clear mirror. Using deep listening and subtle questioning, Henrietta helped me shine a light on the real issues and come up with my own solution. I liked the fact that she asked me how proactive I wanted her to be, rather than just launching straight in. It was a very bespoke experience. An excellent coach, creating real, tangible results.'
Ian Peacock, Radio and Television Presenter
I found Henrietta's coaching profoundly shifting and valuable. I'd struggled for years with getting any leverage on clutter and hoarding. I was persistently and habitually stuck, and I procrastinated. Henrietta seemed to enable, facilitate and weave a magical conversation that went deep, helped me clarify and shift my thinking, and specifically, help me break through fears. As a direct result, I was motivated to take important actions and steps that I had previously found quite difficult, finally moving me in the right direction.'
Isaac Acheampong, Project Manager
'Henrietta has a flexible approach and is willing and able to be responsive to the immediate situation. She's attentive to detail and clarifies the desired results ensuring that these are achieved. Her listening skills is exceptional and provokes powerful questions that stimulate immense insight. I enjoyed working with Henrietta and found each session invaluable in broadening my perspective.'
Karen Galley, Personal and Organisational Change Manager
'Henrietta is a gifted trainer who will go the extra mile for her clients. Her communication & writing skills are excellent. Working with her, I have found her to be flexible and imaginative and able to get the best out of people.'
Joanne O'Brien, Independent Photography Professional
'She is thoroughly professional, discreet and talented. She has great insight into people in general and young people in particular. She has a great mix of personal experience, professional skills and common sense. All useful in their own right but in combination a killer!'
Noel McDermott, Founder of Noel McDermott Psychotherapy and Consultancy Ltd
Type of session
|Online life coaching:||Yes|
|Telephone life coaching:||Yes|
|Face to face life coaching:||Yes|
Happy to travel to accessible venues chosen by the client or to do sessions by phone or skype
I am very flexible and can do evenings and some weekends, especially if we are doing sessions by skpe or phone. But I prefer not to do before 8am.