The 6 things confident and courageous people don't do
Why are some people more confident and courageous than others?
This is a question I regularly get asked and the answer is a combination of biology, upbringing, society and choice. The choice element is the biggest influence on courage and confidence. Whether you choose to be positive and take risks, or to stay in your comfort zone.
You can choose to build your confidence by challenging yourself, but you can also become more courageous by avoiding certain behaviours.
These are my top six behaviours that confident and courageous people don't do:
1. They don't try to please everyone all the time. Being kind and thoughtful is obviously important. But ignoring your own wants and needs to keep others happy will only knock your self-esteem and confidence
2. They don't worry about things that are out of their control. Rather than 'what if's' and worrying about the future, or being anxious about experiences in the past, which they can't change. Confident and courageous people focus on the present and on things which are within their circle of influence.
3. They don't avoid new and challenging opportunities. This doesn't mean they don't have self-doubts or feel nervous. But they have the courage to know whatever happens they can deal with it.
4. They don't get stuck on self-pity. Like all of us, they do sometimes feel sorry for themselves. However, even when life feels unfair they are able to move forward.
5. They don't spend time with negative people. They realise how draining these people can be that constantly complain or see the negative side of life. Instead, they surround themselves with friends and colleagues who leave them feeling positive and energised.
6. They don't need the approval of others. We all like to receive positive feedback sometimes, but confident and courageous people have enough self-belief and trust to make their own decisions and stand by them.
How confident and courageous are you feeling today?
Choose one of the behaviours from above that you recognise, and challenge yourself to let it go this week. You'll be surprised at the positive effect it will have.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Joanne Painter
Jo is a leading UK confidence coach. She works with women to help them overcome their self-doubts and build their confidence and self-esteem, so they can achieve things they never imagined they could. Based in Bishops Stortford, Jo offers face to face coaching, Skype and telephone and also online coaching programmes.… Read more
Located in Bishop's Stortford.
Can also offer telephone appointments.
To book an appointment, please get in contact: