Stay connected with your 'why'
‘The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.’ Eleanor Roosevelt
Today, are you feeling inspired, energised, enthusiastic? Or are you feeling overwhelmed, frustrated, anxious or even stuck, when you think about the week ahead?
Focussing on your 'why' can help you to feel more motivated and positive - even about more mundane activities. Why are you doing what you are doing this week?
- To pay the mortgage or rent, to have a safe and warm home for your family?
- To help your clients or customers with their own lives?
- To save lives?
- To create something amazing in this world?
- To save for your next holiday to create great memories for your family?
Having a sense of purpose, whether it is linked to your own needs or the needs of others, can help us to feel more positive, focussed and energised - even when we are facing obstacles and challenges. Especially when we are feeling overwhelmed, frustrated and anxious.
If you don't feel you have a ‘why’, do one or two of the following:
- Spend a bit of time this week thinking about and discussing it with friends and family - what really motivates you in life, what energises you?
- Create a collage of photos, words and phrases that inspire you, that represent the type of life you want to be living.
- Explore any doubts or ‘yes but’s’ when you think about your dreams and what you want to do. Are you thinking ‘I’m too old’, ‘I won’t be able to earn enough money’. This is where coaching can help to overcome these kinds of limiting beliefs.
- Think about who your heroes or mentors are, either people you know or from history. What is it about them and how they live their lives that inspires you?
- Walk into the future, imagine yourself in five or 10 years’ time, what will you have regretted not doing? That might be where your 'why' is.
- Find some quotes that inspire you, and surround yourself with inspiring books, TED talks and other online talks to keep you inspired and moving towards your 'why'.
When we have a sense of our ‘why’ it helps us to move you forward and be resilient - especially when the going gets tough.
'As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you.' Oprah Winfrey
‘Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.’ Helen Keller
‘When you do the best you can, you never know what miracle is wrought in your life, or in the life of another.’ Helen Keller
'Follow your instincts. That is where true wisdom manifests itself' Oprah Winfrey
'Step out of the history that is holding you back. Step into the new story you are willing to create.' Oprah Winfrey
Find a life coach offering Personal Development Coaching
or try our advanced search