Hi, I'm Carlos. I offer personal and professional coaching, helping you make the changes you want to see, through a fresh and creative approach. Read on to find out whether I'm the right coach for you.
I’m a London-based coach, composer and music educator. I first came to coaching in 2010 as a way of supporting my students at the Guildhall School of Music & Drama to discover their creative potential. I adopted a coaching approach to managing my staff team and gained a Masters level Diploma in Executive Coaching & Mentoring. I've been running a private coaching practice since 2013 and training other coaches since 2016.
My Coaching Approach
As a musician and composer, I work with people in many creative ways and this is a cornerstone of my coaching approach. I help people find creative solutions, to unlock new ideas and to make connections between different thoughts, experiences, and areas of their lives.
My background as a professional musician has given me the flexibility that I apply to my coaching practice. I use a variety of approaches and techniques, and I very much respond to my clients rather than taking a more rigid approach. Improvising as a musician has developed my ability to think freely and quickly, to generate new ideas in response to those of others.
I am patient and positive, and I will often use a strengths-based approach in working with clients, which is based on positive psychology.
Coaching is a relationship, a collaboration where we work together to make the changes you want to see. My style is kind and compassionate. As a coach, it’s my job to challenge as well as to support, and I seek to do this in a warm and gentle way.
What I Offer
I can work with you to support you in a number of areas, whether around solving a particular problem, or making changes in your life. Maybe there’s something bothering you, or some change that you want to make, but you aren’t sure where to start, or how to go about making those changes. Coaching is about action and change so, if you’re willing to work with me to start thinking differently, then some of the areas we might look at together could include:
- Career coaching - career change or development
- Executive coaching & people management
- Communication, impact and interpersonal skills
- Identifying and developing core strengths
- Personal development - confidence, motivation and leadership
- Work-Life Balance
- Health & well being, habits & lifestyle choices
How I Work With You
First, we agree on which coaching package will be most suitable for you. The length of each individual coaching session within that package will vary according to the package (see below for details). In each session, we might be working on 1 or 2 individual issues, or we might be following through on larger issues from the previous session. This would particularly be the case with a structured programme around career change, for example.
The frequency of sessions is flexible, and very much depends on what areas you want the coaching to focus on, plus your own schedule. However, most people tend to have sessions weekly or fortnightly. Up to a month between sessions can work, but if the gap is any longer then it can be harder to maintain focus and momentum.
Face-to-face sessions take place in Walthamstow, London. I use a range of venues and, if the weather is nice, we may also do part of the session while walking in a park. The physical act of walking while talking and thinking can often in itself bring new insights, though there are also times when it's more useful to sit at a table, making notes and sketching ideas. I also offer sessions by Skype or telephone if this is more convenient, or a combination of face-to-face and Skype/telephone.
What my clients say:
"Carlos brought me from a position where I felt a bit stuck, and elaborated it into something more meaningful and useful" - Jenny, Research Manager
"You keep it moving, but I feel like I'm in control…You ask the right questions at the right time" - Rory, Primary School Teacher
"Carlos is patient and doesn't immediately rush to finding a goal. He gave it time, so I had the sense of two people looking at a problem. I didn’t get the impression that he was going through the list of coaching techniques" - Cecelia, Orchestral Manager & Workshop Leader
Training, qualifications & experience
- Masters level Diploma in Executive Coaching & Mentoring - Institute of Leadership and Management
- MA in Psychology and Philosophy - Oxford University
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Teaching & Learning in Higher & Professional Education - Institute of Education
- Post-Graduate Diploma in jazz & studio music - Guildhall School of Music & Drama
- Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts
Areas of coaching I deal with
Other areas of coaching I deal with
- Career Change
- New Projects
- Transition Through Change
- Increasing Confidence
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Habits & Lifestyle Choices
- Reducing Self-Limiting Beliefs
- Collaborative Leadership
Coaching works best when we're working together over a number of sessions towards some agreed goals. Isolated one-off sessions, by contrast, will tend to restrict your progress to a fairly superficial level, unless they are following on from a more substantial previous coaching engagement together. For example, we may have worked together for a series of sessions around your transition to a new job, and then follow this up a few months later with a single session to consolidate the transition once you're in the new role.
I therefore offer my coaching by grouping several sessions together into packages. During our initial conversation we will agree on the most appropriate package to enable you to make the changes you want. However, it's sometimes the case that during the course of coaching new issues will emerge which you want to deal with. There is therefore flexibility to transfer between the below packages.
Additionally, you can have individual top-up sessions at a rate of £110 / hour. If you want more than a couple of extra ones though, it may be worth considering another package. This may be more economical, as the packages are discounted compared to the hourly rate.
When thinking about your own time commitment, you should also factor in a certain amount of engagement in between our sessions. This will include your own ongoing reflection on the issues plus any specific follow-up tasks and actions that we've agreed.
Focused 4 hours
- Four one-hour sessions
- This package is suitable for making progress with quite focused single issues. This could be a challenge at work or in your personal life, such as getting a new project off the ground.
- As this is a very focused package, it may be more suitable for people who already have some experience in working with a coach.
- £420 (5% discount)
Standard 8 hours
- An initial two-hour session (involving some preparatory work)
- Six one-hour sessions.
- This is my most popular package. It is suitable for issues such as transitioning through a change (e.g. new job/role; maternity leave; retirement), or making changes when we feel blocked (e.g. lifestyle choices; work-life balance; leadership or managerial style).
- £790 (10% discount)
In-depth 12 hours
- An initial two-hour session (involving some preparatory work)
- Nine 60-minute sessions (or six 90-minute sessions)
- One 60-minute follow-up session
- This package is ideal if you want to make significant changes in your personal or professional life. This might be around career change or development, tackling confidence issues, harnessing your strengths and reducing the impact of self-limiting beliefs.
- £1,120 (15% discount)
FREE 30-MINUTE CONSULTATION
Whether you'd like a brief initial chat or a free 30-minute consultation, having a conversation is a good way to help you think about / decide whether coaching is right for you, and whether we're a good fit for each other.
Like many coaches, I offer a free 30-minute consultation session before we embark on a full coaching programme together. This conversation can be by phone or Skype. It's a chance for you to find out more about my approach to personal and professional coaching, and for me to find out more about what you want to achieve from coaching. Email me your details on the link below, and I'll be in touch to arrange a conversation.