Hi, I'm Carlos.
I specialise in coaching for career change, career development, and supporting people to diversify how they earn a living. Read on to find out whether I'm the right coach for you.
My particular specialisms are:
- career change
- career development
- supporting people to diversify how they earn a living
I'm particularly passionate about enabling people to make changes in these areas, as I have personally gone through several shifts of career focus over the past 25 years, and have experienced many versions of what we might call a 'portfolio' career.
I also support people in a number of other related areas such as:?
- work-life balance
- identifying and developing core strengths
- communication, impact and interpersonal skills
- people management
- habits and lifestyle choices
HOW I WORK WITH YOU
My background as a professional musician has given me the flexibility that I apply to my coaching practice. I use a variety of approaches and techniques, and I very much respond to my clients rather than taking a more rigid approach. Improvising as a musician has developed my ability to think freely and quickly, to generate new ideas in response to those of others.
I am patient and positive, and I will often use a strengths-based approach in working with clients, which is based on positive psychology.
HOW MANY SESSIONS WILL I NEED?
Following our initial, free consultation, we will agree the number of sessions that best works for you and your needs. In each session we might be working on 1 or 2 individual issues, or we might be following through on larger issues from the previous session. This would particularly be the case with a structured programme around career change, for example.?
HOW OFTEN WILL WE MEET / SPEAK?
The frequency of sessions is flexible, and very much depends on what areas you want the coaching to focus on, plus your own schedule. However, most people tend to have sessions weekly or fortnightly. Up to a month between sessions can work, but if the gap is any longer then it can be harder to maintain focus and momentum.
WHERE / HOW DO WE MEET?
Currently, due to the pandemic, I am coaching via Zoom and telephone. I have found that Zoom is excellent for coaching conversations, and I can screen share from my resource library when we need to. It's also convenient in terms of scheduling and location is no longer an issue.
In time, I will also return to offering in-person sessions where I live in Walthamstow, London. I use a range of venues and, if the weather is nice, we may also do part of the session while walking in a park. The physical act of walking while talking and thinking can often in itself bring new insights.
FREE 30-MINUTE CONSULTATION
Whether you'd like a brief initial chat or a free 30-minute consultation, having a conversation is a good way to help you think about / decide whether coaching is right for you, and whether we're a good fit for each other.
I offer a free 30-minute consultation session before we embark on a full coaching programme together. This conversation can be by phone or Skype. It's a chance for you to find out more about my approach to personal and professional coaching, and for me to find out more about what you want to achieve from coaching.
Email me your details and I'll be in touch to arrange a conversation.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Masters level Diploma in Executive Coaching & Mentoring - Institute of Leadership and Management
- MA in Psychology and Philosophy - Oxford University
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Teaching & Learning in Higher & Professional Education - Institute of Education
- Post-Graduate Diploma in jazz & studio music - Guildhall School of Music & Drama
- Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts
Areas of coaching I deal with
Other areas of coaching I deal with
- Career Change
- New Projects
- Transition Through Change
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Habits & Lifestyle Choices
- Reducing Self-Limiting Beliefs
- Collaborative Leadership
Coaching works best when we're working together over a number of sessions towards some agreed goals. Isolated one-off sessions, by contrast, will tend to restrict your progress to a fairly superficial level, unless they are following on from a more substantial previous coaching engagement together. For example, we may have worked together for a series of sessions around your transition to a new job, and then follow this up a few months later with a single session to consolidate the transition once you're in the new role.?
During our initial conversation we will agree how many sessions you will need, and tailor an appropriate package to enable you to make the changes you want. Below are three example packages to give you an idea. All packages are discounted compared to the hourly rate, however you can have individual top-up sessions at a rate of £110 / hour.
When thinking about your own time commitment, you should also factor in a certain amount of engagement in between our sessions. This will include your own ongoing reflection on the issues plus any specific follow-up tasks and actions that we've agreed.
Focused 4 hours
- Four one-hour sessions
- This package is suitable for making progress with quite focused single issues. This could be a challenge at work or in your personal life, such as getting a new project off the ground.
- As this is a very focused package, it may be more suitable for people who already have some experience in working with a coach.
- £420 (5% discount)
Standard 8 hours
- An initial two-hour session (involving some preparatory work)
- Six one-hour sessions.
- This is my most popular package. It is suitable for issues such as transitioning through a change (e.g. new job/role; maternity leave; retirement), or making changes when we feel blocked (e.g. lifestyle choices; work-life balance; leadership or managerial style).
- £790 (10% discount)
In-depth 12 hours
- An initial two-hour session (involving some preparatory work)
- Nine 60-minute sessions (or six 90-minute sessions)
- One 60-minute follow-up session
- This package is ideal if you want to make significant changes in your personal or professional life. This might be around career change or development, tackling confidence issues, harnessing your strengths and reducing the impact of self-limiting beliefs.
- £1,120 (15% discount)
Most appointments are during office hours, but I sometimes have availability in the evenings and on weekends, especially for telephone or Skype/Zoom sessions. Contact me to discuss options.
What my clients say:
"Carlos brought me from a position where I felt a bit stuck, and elaborated it into something more meaningful and useful" - Jenny, Research Manager
"You keep it moving, but I feel like I'm in control…You ask the right questions at the right time" - Rory, Primary School Teacher
"Carlos is patient and doesn't immediately rush to finding a goal. He gave it time, so I had the sense of two people looking at a problem. I didn’t get the impression that he was going through the list of coaching techniques" - Cecelia, Orchestral Manager & Workshop Leader