'If you think you can, you can' - improving self-belief
We all like to think we behave like rational human beings but we can often be our own worst enemies due to the self-limiting beliefs we may have about ourselves.
How often do you hear yourself say you can't or won't do something because you are too old, not clever enough or lack the confidence? The list of self-limiting beliefs we have about our capabilities can seem endless and we eventually convince ourselves that we can't do something and actually talk ourselves out of it.
Personal development guru, Anthony Robbins says:
'You control your life. Your future action is what produces results. It is something any one of you can develop within yourself.'
Here are some thoughts to consider for those moments when you are full of self-doubt.
- Everything happens for a reason and a purpose and it will serve us well.
- There is no such thing as failure, only results. (Thomas Edison perfected the light bulb after 10,000 attempts!)
- Whatever happens to you, accept responsibility-by doing so YOU have the power to change the results you produce.
- It is not necessary to understand everything in order to be able to do everything. (Do you know how a telephone works?)
- People are the greatest resource so surround yourself with people who are good for you and ditch those who feel like a drain on your well-being.
- Work is play. Find work that you enjoy and it will seem like pleasure.
- There is no abiding success without commitment.
The next time you hear your inner voice say you can't do something, question whether this is a statement of fact or whether there is an underlying fear behind the thought. Ask yourself whether there is any benefit to be had from the negative thought and replace it with a more positive one.
Remember, it has taken a lifetime to develop irrational self-limiting beliefs and will take time and practice to change them. However, the results will be well worth the effort.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Kim RutherfordApril 10th, 2018
Rachel Coffey, BA, MA, NLP Mstr- Rachel Coffey CoachingApril 16th, 2018
Most viewed articles
Aim To Be, Life & Business CoachingJuly 19th, 2010
Roksana Anning - Career, Interview, Confidence, Motivation, Redundancy coachingMarch 17th, 2015