Recent research has revealed that empty nest syndrome really isn’t as bad as its made out to be, and after an initially bumpy start, couples tend to find their feet and rediscover the pleasure of each others company within around a year.
However, if you really do feel as though you have lost touch with your other half then relationship charity Relate has come up with some simple ideas which may help you cope with this stage of your relationship:
1. Firstly, the experts over at Relate recommend that you tell your partner how you feel, as carrying on whilst you are feeling low without confiding in your partner means they are unable to offer you the support and comfort you need.
2. If you feel like you no longer know your partner very well then you could come up with a fun quiz to break the ice, a bit like a game of Mr and Mrs. Try asking some light hearted questions such as what film have you enjoyed the most in the last year? Or what is the best book you have read recently? Not only does this allow you to find out more about each other but you could also make the effort to read that book or watch that film together which will create more opportunities for conversation and interesting debate.
3. Think back to what you used to do together when you first met, or what you did on your first date. Perhaps you went dancing together or bowling or strolled along the beach eating fish and chips. Try and update and relive these moments and enjoy each others company like you used to.
4. Think about doing some things that you have always wanted to do as a couple but lacked both the time and money to do whilst you were younger. Perhaps you wanted to go on an African safari or do a trek for charity but never had the time or money. There might also be smaller things such as going to the pub during the week, owning a dog or even going out for dinner. Make an effort to try and do more of these things and if it happens to be something expensive then save for it so you both have something to look forward to.
5. Having your children around the house is undoubtedly a bit of a passion killer so take this opportunity to rediscover your sex life.
6. Lastly you should feel proud of yourselves for reaching this stage as many couples do not. Give yourselves some time to reconnect and your relationship will go from strength to strength.
View the original Relate article for the full list of tips.