Easy ways to fit exercise into your day
Never use the “I’m too busy to exercise” excuse again with these simple tips.
Take advantage of those precious couple of hours before work to work on your health. If you’re not keen on early starts, don’t worry – you can do all of these things while you get ready.
- Before you get in the shower aim to do 40 reps of the following: Mondays – squats, Tuesdays – push-ups, Wednesdays – lunges, Thursdays – tricep dips, Fridays – side-to-side jumps.
- When you’re brushing your teeth try standing on one leg to build core stability.
- If you live close enough, walk to work rather than drive.
- If you live too far away to walk the whole way, park further away or get off the bus earlier so you can walk part of the way.
Even if your job requires you to sit at a desk for eight hours, there are still ways you can get a little exercise in.
- Take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Get up and walk around every 20 minutes or so – set yourself a reminder to prompt you.
- Do leg extensions, buttock squeezes or march your legs at your desk.
- Do some easy yoga poses during your lunch break.
In the evenings
While evenings are typically earmarked for relaxation, adding a little exercise to the mix will keep you healthy and help you drop off to sleep more easily.
- Join an evening class that is on your route home from work to increase your chances of attending.
- Work out while you watch TV – every time there is an ad break, do a different exercise.
- Make it fun and get the kids involved with a dance session when you get home from work.
- Do some leg raises while doing the dishes.
To find out how a health coach could help you stick to your fitness goals, please see our health page.
View and comment on the original Express article.
Find a life coach offering health coaching
or try our advanced search