Creating yourself: A powerful daily practice
How do you start your day? Have you done your best to create the space and time in lockdown for exercise, meditation, and journaling? It can be easy to fall into the trap of approaching our well-being as a 'doing' when the real leverage is in the state of 'being' that our well-being practices generate.
A practice that I use every day to sow new mind seeds - and one that I share with my clients as part of a deeper enquiry into drawing out our individual strengths and assets (aka our gold) - is to briefly journal on the following questions:
- How do I want to create myself today?
- How do I want to be?
- What qualities do I want to bring into my world today?
Now, this is not positive thinking, it is not affirmations. This is a decision; this is a conscious choice.
Why do this practice?
Consciously stepping into a state of being, offers an antidote to the swirl of negative thinking that can cascade through our minds. It can be a powerful tool for stepping out of a reactive/victim mindset to that of a more empowered proactive and creator mindset. It can take us out of the automatic pilot/zombie-like Groundhog Day state of mind.
“Every cell in your body is eavesdropping on your thoughts.”
- Deepak Chopra
This is also a major step into radical ownership of our lives, stepping into our Sovereign power, authors of our own lives, masters over our own kingdoms.
Provocative coaching question
My own coach always challenges me when we are reflecting on a situation with the provocative question: 'How did you create this?' Well, I might not like where this question takes us, but it always generates insights and a humbling new perspective.
Your daily decree - the practice
- Set aside 10 minutes just like you would for a morning meditation.
- Write down five to eight words that describe how you want to be in the world.
- Turn these words into a few sentences that capture the essence of who and how you intend to be.
- Be specific about how you want to ‘show up’ in a particular situation or event that is coming up.
- Once you have your sentences, recite them, maybe in your head at first, and then out loud.
- Breathe in every word, deeply embody what it feels like to be every aspect of your daily degree.
- Find time at the end of the day to reflect on how your actual state of being aligned to your intentions.
- Develop the decree that you recite every day, allowing it to evolve and mature over time, or experiment with different versions.
By committing to this daily practice, you are committing to living your life on your terms, whilst pushing up against those areas of your psyche that unintentionally give your power away to people, circumstances or the past.
The invitation is to step into your power as the creator of your life - this practice may seem a bit OTT for some people but, from my experience, it is such conscious practices that help us shed the skin of old ways of being that no longer serve us.
Find a life coach offering Personal Development Coaching
All coaches are verified professionals.