7 Ways to Deal with Toxic Energies
The signs: You are feeling normal(ish). You meet up with someone or find yourself in a situation and by the time you part, you find yourself feeling awful. You’re drained, a dark cloud has descended, your mood has shifted significantly. This may be in a personal or professional capacity, especially if you are in a helping/giving role.
So, what’s happened? It could be that you have picked up ‘stuff’ that is not yours. Like a sponge, you have absorbed the other person’s negativity, grief, anger and vibrations that are not yours. These have attached themselves to you and have stuck onto your aura or electromagnetic field.
Another way of looking at this is that these negative or unpleasant emotions have resonated with something in you that you do not want to have activated. So it may be a relief to realise, that this sticky gooey negativity does not belong to you!
The good news is that there are ways to protect and cleanse yourself.
- The simplest and most effective tool I have used when dealing with negative energy around me is to subtly place my hand across my solar plexus. This is the point from which we absorb and give out energy. By placing a barrier across it, you are protecting yourself.
- Check in, stay present, monitor any shifts in energy. Periodically pause and go within yourself. Observe your breath silently for a couple of minutes and do a quick body scan. This is a way of staying aware so that you are less likely to go into automatic mode and absorb stuff unconsciously. Every now and then, check in and ask yourself, ‘What’s going on for me, right now?’ This will help you stay aware and alert in terms of monitoring your energy.
- If I am feeling particularly sensitive, I tend to place myself in a bubble of white light. Visualise an egg-shaped bubble filled with lovely bright light. Affirm to yourself that you are completely protected from any negative energy coming in to your space and that only high-frequency positive energy can enter your field.
- A salt bath (Epsom, Sea Salt or Himalayan Rock Salt are best). Excellent for purifying energy and absorbing toxins from in and around the body.
- Frankincense is an excellent oil for cleansing, a couple of drops in the palm of your hands, rub palms together, then lightly ‘dust off’ the energy from around your aura, about six inches from your body, from head to toe. You may feel a little silly doing this, but it works. Wash hands or shake off accumulated energy afterwards.
- The mirror technique: When you are with that person or immersed in the situation, visualise a giant mirror with the reflective surface facing outwards. This way the mirror deflects any negative energy that comes your way.
- Last but not least, avoid or limit your exposure to negative people. Do not condemn yourself for it. Chances are that you have already given a lot and you are repeatedly faced with a bottomless pit of negativity and neediness. Remember you are not rejecting the other person, you are respecting yourself. Send good wishes to the person, let go of any residue of guilt and distance yourself, incrementally if need be. It may feel selfish but what if ultimately we are in fact each responsible for our own happiness? Simple, but sometimes we need reminding!
Relationships with people, energetic exchanges and dynamics are complex. Coaching can help to identify themes, patterns and challenges, and develop strategies that are effective in dealing with these. In the process we grow in self-awareness and in our ability to maximise our enjoyment of everyday life! Cultivating a degree of self-protection is one of these.
We do ourselves and others a disservice when we do not look after our own energy properly, so let's continue to give generously, but let's do so consciously and appropriately.