Every professional displayed on Life Coach Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
This professional is available for new clients.
This professional is available for new clients.
November 2023 update - I will be taking clients again from 20th November 2023 and all services will be available. Please note that from mid January 2024 to early April 2024 I will offering calls only in the early morning and evening UK time, as I shall be out of the UK at this time.
Supporting Professional People Under Pressure
As your Personal and Executive Coach I will be on your side throughout and help you to make the right decisions and right actions for you. I'm an ex-nurse (SRN), I've worked extensively in residential care for older people, and I have brought up (with the help of my ever-loving, of course) three new citizens of the human race of whom we are very proud. I've faced life's ups and downs, including serious illness, and I know from experience what works to get through these things.
In respect of more work-focused matters, I'm also accredited with Harrison Assessments, the leading provider of analytics for all aspects of talent development, including your own! A short questionnaire provides robust data on which to base coaching, and looks primarily at what work suits you, rather than what you can squeeze yourself into. It assumes you are supposed to ENJOY your work - how radical is that!
See more at
You can view my latest newsletter about wellbeing, effectiveness and resilience here.
I work particularly with Professional People Under Pressure, including but not limited to:
- health and social care workers
- social workers
- IT specialists
- GP practice managers
You may be.....
- facing a new job role, where you really want to make a difference, but there is just too much to think about and do all at once?
- juggling home, family, work, and you've got lost in everyone else's needs?
- Looking at big changes on the horizon, such as redundancy, relocation, major personal changes, serious illness? And you can’t quite see how to make the next step, because there is so much to think about?
- Or maybe things are okay, but you have this feeling that it could all be so much better?
I can work with you to give you
- protected time and space to work it all out and take stock
- a sense of clarity and control
- achievable actions that you can do straight away
- encouragement and challenge to make the changes you want to make
I can work anywhere across the UK and worldwide (excluding USA & Canada), by phone or Zoom.
I also do affordable online programmes where you can learn about how to improve your life, before you come to me personally to apply this directly to your own situation. The first one is Simple Ways to Feel Better, where I share with you many aspects of well being and resilience that are supported by robust research. You'll learn simple and proven steps to increase your resilience and well being, and renew your life. I'll help you through the mountain of self help books that are out there and show you some of the most important things you can do to improve your life. Go here to get started - first section free in all courses.
To keep informed about latest developments and new offers, you can sign up safely to my regular email updates here and receive a small free gift. This is guaranteed to be something that you can use to make a difference straight away and each issue will give you information and tips to help you increase your well being and resilience.
You can also take my free personal life analysis here, as many times as you like. It's a good way to keep tabs on your progress in any case.
And if like so many of us these days, you are worried about the climate and environment, I'm also working in that area now. You can take my free climate consciousness analysis here too and receive my free Climate Focus newsletter too here...
What to do next?
I would love to hear from you, so please feel free to get in contact either by phone on 07957720023 or by email just here
If you feel that coaching may benefit someone that you know, then why not purchase a session for them? This could be the best present you could ever give someone. Please do take a look at my coaching shop where you can purchase any of my books and packages, and give any of them as a gift.
Training, qualifications & experience
I'm an Accredited Executive Coach, a member of the Association for Coaching, and an Approved Reciprocoach (you can see more about this at http://www.reciprocoach.com/BarbaraBates)
A short excerpt from my qualifications, in reverse order...
- Accredited user Harrison Assessments -
- The Neuroscience Academy course in Applied Neuroscience and Brain Health
March - May 2019
- Level 6 Certificate in Vocational Teacher Training
- Level 7 ILM Certificate in Executive Coaching and Mentoring
- NLP Practitioner
- NLP Coach
- City & Guilds L3 'Coaching in the Workplace'
- Institute of Customer Services Qualified Coach and Assessor
- PTTLLS introductory teaching qualification
- Vocational Assessor and Verifier awards
- Level 4 NVQ Management
- Three children and a long marriage
- Former State Registered Nurse
- BA (Hons.) English Language and Literature
- Lots of O and A levels
The Association for Coaching is one of the leading professional bodies for Coaches and Organisations.
The Association is made up of a number of different membership categories, e.g. Associate Member (AMAC), Member (MAC), Accredited Member (AC Accred), with the different categories standing for different levels of training and experience. Accredited Members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
The Association has a Code of Ethics & Good Practice and a Complaints Procedure.
Areas of coaching I deal with
Other areas of coaching I deal with
- 'Clean Coaching' approach may also be used.
- Cognitive Behavioural approaches may also be appropriate, in helping you to think accurately and to stop sabotaging yourself
- Insights from Positive Psychology also form part of my work
- I also now use insights from the Immunity to Change model - see my article 'Why Can't I Change'.
- Climate and environment issues
- Three Principles
£95.00 - £150.00
Free initial telephone session
Personal coaching assignments will usually involve a series of six to ten sessions, although this is negotiable.
There is a variety of packages available -
- One to one sessions of one hour each. These are currently charged from £95 per session (of one hour) for personal coaching (or £550 for six sessions booked up front) to £150 per session for executive coaching. Current package prices will be found in my Coaching Shop. You can do as many or as few as you like, although we will contract on commencement so that expectations are clear. These sessions can be face to face at a choice of locations in Nottingham, remotley using Zoom/Google Meet, or any combination of these methods that we agree.
- A variety of packages in my Coaching Shop.
I am happy also to discuss individual requirements.
When I see you face to face I will travel up to 10 miles each way with no extra charge. Beyond that I charge travel expenses @ 60p a mile plus £10, up to a maximum of 30 miles each way, in addition to the session fees. Distance is, of course, no object if you work with me by phone or internet.
Rates are reviewed and may be revised every six months but will not change once you are contracted with me for that particular assignment. We complete a standard contract after the first session so that we both know that we can work well together. It's quite lengthy, but don't let that put you off - this is a professional arrangement and it's important for both parties that it's done properly.
More details about the various ways you can work with me may be found on my website.
When I work
Daytime and evening, some weekends by arrangement. Happy to negotiate flexibility. NB from January to April 2024 I will be on New Zealand time - my Coaching Shop for up to date availability.
You may like to know a little more about me and how I got to here!
After a degree in English at Newcastle University, where I also studied Latin, Greek and Linguistics, I worked for a year in Edinburgh University Library, with a view to a career in that field. Although I enjoyed this I felt I needed to complete my education. So I got a job as an auxiliary nurse on an orthopaedic ward and then trained as SRN (State Registered Nurse). (Boy, did this complete my education!) Once qualified I went on to work for a large local authority in residential management of homes for older people, where I later undertook Health & Social Care and Management assessment and verification. I worked in a variety of homes for older people in Nottingham, and after 2001 I concentrated on assessment and verification.
I got involved in coaching as part of my corporate work with the Institute of Customer Service. I really loved doing this and following redundancy I was delighted to have the opportunity to set up my own freelance business as a Coach.
I combine this with other strands including part time assessment in Health and Social Care, and as a distributor for a top end health and wellness company.
I'm also an associate for a global coaching company with a special interest in climate issues.