Barbara Bates - Supporting Professional People under Pressure
Intelligent and compassionate questions for developing people
I can help you improve your situation, whether it is to do with work or life in general.
You may be at a point of decision in your life, to do with health challenges, work, family, home, relationships, money - any of these can be difficult to get through alone. I will work with you using what is known about well being, resilience and health to pinpoint with you the best ways forward for you, and I will support and challenge you to do it!
As a Personal and Executive Coach I will be on your side throughout and help you to make the right decisions and right actions for you. I'm an ex- nurse (SRN), I've worked extensively in residential care for older people, and I have brought up (with the help of my ever-loving, of course) three new citizens of the human race of whom we am very proud. I've faced life's ups and downs, including serious illness, and I know from experience what works to get through these things.
You can view my latest newsletter about wellbeing, effectiveness and resilience here
I work particularly with Professional People Under Pressure, including but not limited to:
- health and social care workers
- vocational assessors
- social workers
- IT specialists
- GP practice managers
You may be.....
- facing a new job role, where you really want to make a difference, but there is just too much to think about and do all at once?
- juggling home, family, work, and you've got lost in everyone else's needs?
- Looking at big changes on the horizon, such as redundancy, relocation, major personal changes, serious illness? And you can’t quite see how to make the next step, because there is so much to think about?
Or maybe things are okay, but you have this feeling that it could all be so much better?
I can work with you to give you
- protected time and space to work it all out and take stock
- a sense of clarity and control
- achievable actions that you can do straight away
- encouragement and challenge to make the changes you want to make
You can do all this face to face, at a choice of locations across Nottingham. I’m happy to discuss coming further afield if you have a good meeting place in mind.
I can work anywhere across the UK and worldwide, by phone or Skype, and all of this can be combined with my 24 hr online coach platform.
And there’s more! I also do low cost online programmes where you can learn about how to improve your life, before you come to me face to face to apply this directly to your own situation. The first one is Simple Ways to Feel Better, where I share with you many aspects of well being and resilience that are supported by robust research. You'll learn simple and proven steps to increase your resilience and well being, and renew your life. I'll help you through the mountain of self help books that are out there and show you some of the most important things you can do to improve your life. Go here to get started - first section free in all courses!
To keep informed about latest developments and new offers, you can sign up safely to my regular email updates here and receive a small free gift. This is guaranteed to be something that you can use to make a difference straight away and each issue will give you information and tips to help you increase your well being and resilience.
You can also take my free PERSONAL LIFE ANALYSIS here, as many times as you like. It's a good way to keep tabs on your progress in any case.
NEW! Coaching gift vouchers. This could be the best present you ever give.
Not sure yet? Keep in touch with me by signing up for my regular (but not too frequent) updates where I share things that I know will help you. Oh, and you also get a free gift when you do so. Just click for all those benefits.‘
Training, qualifications & experience
I'm a member of the Association for Coaching, and an Approved Reciprocoach (you can see more about this at http://www.reciprocoach.com/BarbaraBates)
A short excerpt from my qualifications, in reverse order...
- The Neuroscience Academy course in Applied Neuroscience and Brain Health
March - May 2019
- Level 6 Certificate in Vocational Teacher Training
- Level 7 ILM Certificate in Executive Coaching and Mentoring
- NLP Practitioner
- NLP Coach
- City & Guilds L3 'Coaching in the Workplace'
- Institute of Customer Services Qualified Coach and Assessor
- PTTLLS introductory teaching qualification
- Vocational Assessor and Verifier awards
- Level 4 NVQ Management
- Three children and a long marriage
- Former State Registered Nurse
- BA (Hons.) English Language and Literature
- Lots of O and A levels
Association for Coaching
The Association for Coaching is one of the leading professional bodies for Coaches and Organisations.
The Association is made up of a number of different membership categories, e.g. Associate Member (AMAC), Member (MAC), Accredited Member (AC Accred), with the different categories standing for different levels of training and experience. Accredited Members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
The Association has a Code of Ethics & Good Practice and a Complaints Procedure.
Areas of coaching I deal with
Other areas of coaching I deal with
'Clean Coaching' approach may also be used.
Cognitive Behavioural approaches may also be appropriate, in helping you to think accurately and to stop sabotaging yourself.
Insights from Positive Psychology also form part of my work.
I also now use insights from the Immunity to Change model - see my article 'Why Can't I Change'.
Personal coaching assignments will usually involve a series of six to ten sessions, although this is negotiable.
There is a variety of packages available -
- One to one sessions of one hour each. These are currently charged from £80 per session (of one hour) for personal coaching (or £450 for six sessions booked up front) to £130 per session for executive coaching. You can do as many or as few as you like, although we will contract on commencement so that expectations are clear. These sessions can be face to face at a choice of locations in Nottingham, anywhere in the world by Skype or phone, or any combination of these methods.
- 30 minute Focus calls, usually by phone/skype, charged at £39 per half hour session. This is suitable when you have a definite task to deal with over a shorter period of time and you want to deal with it quickly, rather than go deeper over a longer time.
- 3 months STARTER PACKAGE, to include 6 x 1 hr sessions, either F2F or phone/skype, all current courses, up to 6 x 15 min phone calls, up to 30 emails @ £750.
- 6 months CONSOLIDATION PACKAGE - 10 x 1 hr sessions, either F2F or phone/skype, all current courses, up to 10 x 15 min phone calls, up to 30 emails @ £1400.
- 12 months ACCOMPANIMENT & MAINTENANCE PACKAGE to include 20 x 1 hr sessions, either F2F or phone/skype, all current courses, up to 15 x 15 min phone calls, up to 40 emails @ £2750.
I am happy also to discuss individual requirements.
When I see you face to face I will travel up to 10 miles each way with no extra charge. Beyond that I charge travel expenses @ 60p a mile plus £10, up to a maximum of 30 miles each way, in addition to the session fees. Distance is, of course, no object if you work with me by phone or internet.
Rates are reviewed and may be revised every six months but will not change once you are contracted with me for that particular assignment. We complete a standard contract after the first session so that we both know that we can work well together. It's quite lengthy, but don't let that put you off - this is a professional arrangement and it's important for both parties that it's done properly.
Payment is preferably via direct bank credit following the first session and prior to the next, but I will accept cash on the day. I can accept credit card payments.
More details about the various ways you can work with me may be found on my website.
You may like to know a little more about me and how I got to here!
After a degree in English at Newcastle University, where I also studied Latin, Greek and Linguistics, I worked for a year in Edinburgh University Library, with a view to a career in that field. Although I enjoyed this I felt I needed to complete my education. So I got a job as an auxiliary nurse on an orthopaedic ward and then trained as SRN (State Registered Nurse). (Boy, did this complete my education!) Once qualified I went on to work for a large local authority in residential management of homes for older people, where I later undertook Health & Social Care and Management assessment and verification. I worked in a variety of homes for older people in Nottingham, and after 2001 I concentrated on assessment and verification.
I got involved in coaching as part of my corporate work with the Institute of Customer Service. I really loved doing this and following redundancy I was delighted to have the opportunity to set up my own freelance business as a Coach.
I combine this with other strands including part time assessment in Health and Social Care, and as a distributor for a top end health and wellness company. It's a great life!