Five strategies for when you lack confidence
24th March, 20160 Comments
Written by: Jo Painter AC, Dip LC, NLP Prac, MRPharmS
When you're having a bad day, doubting yourself, or your insecurities are rampaging, it can be difficult to take action or make decisions.
We all get these low feelings, which can knock our self-esteem, so how can you lift yourself back up and have the confidence to move forward?
Well here are five strategies I recommend to help you:
- Accept that it's okay to not be okay sometimes. Tough or unfair things do happen in life and there are times when we all feel grief, shame, guilt and failure. Accept that these are human emotions and that it's okay to feel not okay, it's okay to feel low and it's okay to feel uncomfortable. Then treat yourself with compassion knowing that at some point these bad feelings will start to pass.
- Take one tiny step forward. You don't have to make a huge change to start feeling more confident or to overcome your self-doubt, you just need to decide on one tiny positive step and that will begin the shift. Whether it's writing down your positive achievements, deciding to stop talking negatively about yourself or asking for help. Just one small step at a time will build to a big change.
- Keep present in today. Looking further ahead than the current moment can feel scary and overwhelming, when you're mood is low. If you can focus on this day or this minute rather than what's happened in the past or might happen in the future you will allow your worry to reduce and your mind to clear.
- Be okay with not knowing what others think. If your self-doubt is driven by worrying about how others maybe judging you or why they've said or behaved in a certain way, then you're allowing others to control how you feel. Instead accept that you'll never know exactly what anyone else is thinking and the confident thing to do is assume their thoughts are positive.
- The choice is yours. An estimated 40% of your confidence levels are down to your attitude and choice. So when you're overcome by self-doubt give yourself the push to step a very small way out of your comfort zone. Not only will this lift your mood but if you celebrate the fact you had the confidence to try, you are also building your confidence for the future.
Please feel free to share my article using the buttons below.
About the author
Jo is an enthusiastic and experienced confidence coach, who works with clients to help them overcome their self-doubts and build their confidence and self-esteem to achieve things they never imagined they could. Based in Bishops Stortford, Jo offers face to face coaching, Skype and telephone.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Caroline Wellingham - Accredited Career and Life Coach, NLP PractitionerJuly 12th, 2017