Is stress holding you back?
Today, Wednesday 3rd November is National Stress Awareness day. Work-related stress, depression or anxiety accounted for an estimated 13.5 million lost working days in Britain in 2007/08. Just think what that’s doing to the economy, nevermind our sanity!
Stress occurs when our perceived pressure exceeds our ability to cope. This is a huge problem nationally and is increasingly common in young professionals. Does any of the following sound familiar?:
- I’m doing well and making a lot of money, but I’ve no time to spend it. And why am I not happy?
- I’m not sure I want to do this job for the rest of my career
- I don’t want to work until 7 every night, but that’s the company culture
- Help, I’m 30 and I still don’t know what I want to do with my life!
- I want to spend time with my family but still have a career
So what can we do? Well, one of the easiest ways is to take control. Here’s the Circle of Influence exercise:
1)Draw a circle in the middle of a piece of paper. This is your circle of concern. Write down anything, large or small which is worrying you.
2)The next step is to draw a smaller circle inside the first. This is your circle of influence. Any of your concerns which you have control over should be transferred to this circle
3) You will be left with concerns in the outer circle, which you can do nothing about, such as Christmas looming. Stop letting these issues stress you.
4) Your circle of influence however, will be full of challenges you can do something about. It’s now up to you to decide what action to take!
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Richard Anderson MA, BSc (Joint Hons), DMS - Awakening Coaching UKOctober 17th, 2017
Most viewed articles
Aim To Be, Life & Business CoachingJuly 19th, 2010