When I did less, I had a wake up call and learnt these five lessons
In the run-up to Christmas last year I was stressed. I had been putting pressure on myself to grow my life coaching business and was dissatisfied with the speed of the progress I was making. This is despite a 70% increase in clients year on year! I decided to take a complete break from my business. I put an out of office on my email, signed off from Facebook and kept away from other social media channels.
As a result of my Christmas break, I learnt these five lessons:
1) To put my family first and commit to reconnecting, properly. If I am out of balance and putting too much thought and time into my life coaching business, or other distractions, I do not show up well as a mum. My fuse gets short, my tone gets grumpy, my patience gets poor. When I am not distracted, I am a much better mummy. I put boundaries around my family time and am available and fully present to my children. Want to know how to be present and productive when there is never enough time? Learn about 'The Five Gears'.
2) Stuff still happens when I take my foot off the accelerator. Over my Christmas break, I received more enquiries than I had received in the previous three months. I am still being consistent with my visibility but I'm not pushing a boulder up a hill all the time. Previously the boulder was screaming 'do more, do more, do more', and was getting heavier and heavier to push. Now I'm still pushing the boulder, but it's on a level surface and is rolling consistently.
3) To know my re-charge. As a mum, we all need time to work on our self-care. I had not been re-charging. My re-charge is to laugh with my children, speak to a friend, write in my journal and take time to pray. I committed to doing something to re-charge me at least once a day.
4) To know I am enough. I am enough to be successful, I am enough to be fulfilled. I found out about this great project, originally set up to help those with addictions. You are enough (http://www.iamenoughproject.org/). Want to be happy? Stop trying to be perfect. That applies to me as a mum, wife, entrepreneur and friend. I need to give myself permission to be enough.
Effort + courage to show up = enough (Brene Brown).
5) To make changes as a result of my new learning. Something had to change. I decided there and then to only work on my business during term time, and to book the school holidays off in my diary.
What is your take away from this? Are you in a position to bring about the changes you desire? What steps do you need to take? A coach can help you to focus on what is important to you and to help you to put a plan in place to get you from where you are now to where you want to be.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Jackie Meek
I’m a busy mumpreneur. I have a part-time job which runs alongside my life coaching business as it grows. I’m mum to a 7 and 9 year old, a trustee of the village playgroup and wife, daughter and friend. I have a passion to see mums thriving and it's a privilege to see my mum clients growing in confidence as they bring about the change they desire.… Read more
Located in Bicester.
Can also offer telephone / online appointments.
To book an appointment, please get in contact: