Stop procrastinating and start taking powerful action
Don't put it off!
If you really don't fancy reading this right now, you can always watch the free training video here.
What is procrastination?
This is when we intentionally put off doing something that should be done.
Human beings have been procrastinating for centuries. In fact, if you started to study procrastination further you would quickly be able to see that even ancient Greek philosophers were talking about it.
But today, it's not about the Greek philosophers. It's about you and how you can start making a positive change.
Why do we procrastinate?
You have a dream and set a goal.
Your future self is the only one who reaps the reward and it's your present self who does the hard work and has to take all of the action. That doesn't sound very fair does it?
When it comes to taking action, you are in the present moment, so your brain is thinking about your present self. During this time your brain wants to protect you and make you feel good again, so it directs you to the easier tasks on your list to get instant gratification. It doesn't care about your long-term payoff.
The good news
Procrastination does not need to stay!
Look at it like a habit. You created that bad habit of procrastinating so you can change it.
When you feel fear and discomfort, you immediately escape into distractions. For example, you want to grow your business and make more money, but instead, you find yourself scrolling on your phone and you might eat some cake!
Because your present moment doesn't want you to be in pain. That pain and discomfort will continue to throttle you and your business.
If you don't fully understand yourself, you don't challenge your thoughts, or you don't have a solid strategy in place. You will continue to get overwhelmed as you don't know what to do. You will put off the important 'tiring stuff' and get busy on the things that keep you in exactly the same place.
Then you repeat this vicious cycle the following day!
So, what's the cure?
First of all, let's start to tackle your thoughts through a few questions below (it's now time for you to grab a pen and paper).
Why do this?
If you have better thoughts, you will have better emotions and it will result in powerful action.
- What are you procrastinating on?
- Why are you procrastinating?
- What happens when you procrastinate?
- What can you do to limit distractions?
- What steps do you need to take to reach your goal?
- Write down your steps in order and add the timeframe
- What will happen if you don't achieve your goal?
- How will you feel when you do achieve your goal?
- What does it mean for your business and life?
Now as you understand yourself a little more, we can have a look at some definitions of the things that will impact you on starting a task.
- Motivation - Willingness to do the work.
- Expectancy - How much you expect to succeed.
- Value - How much you enjoy the task and will enjoy the reward.
- Impulsiveness - How easily distracted.
- Delay - How long it takes to get the reward.
Start to think about what measures you can put in place to set yourself up for success. e.g. Impulsiveness - Put your mobile in the other room to limit distractions.
Here's a few more that you can try...
- Break your plan down into smaller chunks.
- Keep the task blocks small (e.g. 20minutes working on 'x') Reward yourself for completing the task.
- Get your timeframe and shorten it.
- Minimise distractions e.g put your phone in the other room when you go to procrastinate. Say "thank you for protecting me brain, but I'm now going to work on my goal for 5 minutes", and take immediate action.
- At the end of each day write down your biggest priorities for the following day.
- When you arrive tomorrow, concentrate only on the first task. Work until the first task is finished before moving on to the second (remember to shorten your timeframe to do it).
- Create a clear start and finish time.
Come and join me for your free no-obligation 30-minute coaching session.
During this session, you will understand your core values and drivers.
Why is this important?
Because if something isn't aligning with your values, you will feel off balance and you won't get the task done.
Click here to book your free slot.