Positivity - it's the only way
Having a positive attitude doesn't mean that we think life is wonderful all the time, or that it is amazing when it isn't or that we wear our rose-tinted glasses every day to experience the world in a pink, fluffy, cosy way. Life often isn't like that. Being positive means embracing the good and the lovely of the moment, of people, of situations and making the most of what we have and who we are. It looks at celebrating the positive as opposed to concentrating on the negative. A positive mindset can create miracles, help with resilience, and joy and support us in living a life we love.
25 ways to be more positive
Some areas to be aware of and work towards in the quest for a positive approach to the challenges of life include:
1. Smile: What a huge difference it makes seeing someone smile at us. We generally look to smile back. It makes us happy and the reciprocal is as positive. When we smile, the world smiles with us. It's true!
2. Be proactive: Here we are looking at taking action, having intention and seizing any possibilities. We aren't waiting for things to come our way or doing nothing in the hope that the tide will turn. Activity and change create positivity too.
3. Fall in love with yourself: Oh my, I could write about this forever. It is the most fundamental aspect of living a positive life. When we connect with who we really are, we value and appreciate our strengths and skills. We make better decisions and choices in life and our world is opened up.
4. Stay cool. Be calm: Being calm gives us a sense of control which anxiety or distress does not. Be aware of our trigger factors, people or situations and take steps to be calm.
5. Focus on the good: There is good in everyone and every situation. When we choose to tune into that, our perspective shifts.
6. Have a purpose: A focus for our day is important. It can be big or small. Just something which feels meaningful.
7. Change your thoughts: Being aware of your thoughts is a starting point here. Are they happy or sad, critical of appreciative, helpful or soul-destroying? Assess and reassess.
8. Stop expecting life to be easy: It isn't! But it can be easier if we choose to take on some of the pointers suggested.
9. Believe that you are enough: You are!
10. See yourself as you are: What are your strengths and skills, talents and experiences. Focus on these. We all have faults. I'm sure we spend enough time focusing on these that a welcome change would be focusing on your strengths instead.
11. Choose to embrace life: It's all we have.
12. Be bold and courageous: Take risks. Effect change. Shake things up a little. Or a lot!
13. Limit your complaints: This is powerful. What are we moaning about now? Or who? Choose to be thankful instead.
14. Watch your words: Listen to how you describe yourself and others. Focus on the good in yourself and other people too.
15. Have fun: Oh my. We deserve to laugh and smile.
16. Be curious: Be interested. Learn and seek development.
17. Seek out and be with those with a positive attitude: You know who they are! Spend time with them.
18. Believe in yourself.
19. Keep up your enthusiasm: Get going. Keep going!
20. Stop watching the news: It's good to know what's happening in the world but be aware of the negativity and despair.
21. Delete unhelpful social media channels or news feeds: When everything is so accessible we really have to be careful what we connect with. There's a lesson for us all here.
22. Connect with what you love to do and do it: Every day!
23. Visualise your best self and favourite place: Again, this can be powerful in shifting our mood.
24. Be grateful: Be thankful for what you have and celebrate the simple things which bring joy. A smile, a friendship, a bird in the garden, nice food, a cosy bed, a hug or a gift, spring flowers or a rainbow. Always be grateful.
25. Avoid mindless being and doing: Be mindful in what you do.
Get going! A positive attitude makes the world go round. I wish you well. Connect with a coach if you feel you need some support with this.
Find a life coach offering Personal Development Coaching
All coaches are verified professionals.