Motivational quotes and queries to start 2017
As 2016 draws to a close and we look forward to the start of 2017, you may be thinking of your goals for the future, of the changes you want to make. As we approach the time of year where we both look back on the year past and think about changes and new directions in the year ahead, I decided to choose as the topic of this my last article for 2016 something that is simple yet substantial: motivational quotes.
I hope by offering these quotes and questions, it will inspire you to creative thinking and positive change, a technique I often use in coaching clients. So here are five quotes and proverbs to close one year and start the new.
- “When one door closes, another opens" - Alexander Graham Bell and "When one door closes, a hundred open” - Spanish proverb. Sometimes it’s hard to let go of the past and clinging to old ways and situations can prevent us moving forward. The close of the year and start of a new is a pivotal time to close the door on what is not working and adopt new strategies and behaviours. What will you stop doing or let go of? What will you begin doing that will bring more positive rewards?
- “Live without pretending. Love without depending. Listen without defending. Speak without offending.” - David Drake. This beautiful philosophy on how to live life encourages integrity, independence, openness and sensitivity, and an approach that is both self-respectful and respectful of others. What are your thoughts on this? How do you, or might you, use some elements of this in your approach to relationships, both personal and professional?
- “Compliment people. Magnify their strengths, not their weaknesses.” - Joyce Meyer. People often complain that people are quick to criticize but slow to compliment. Yet people are far more likely to do well and change for the better if offered the carrot not the stick. Who do you want to compliment? Whose talents or good deeds to you want to acknowledge? What will you say to them? When will you do it?
- “Empathy is seeing with the eyes of another, listening with the ears of another, and feeling with the heart of another” - Alfred Adler. Have you ever wished someone would listen to you, really listen to you? Not wait for every opportunity to turn the conversation back to themselves. Not champ at the bit to snatch the conversation from you. Whilst listening is something we constantly do, ironically it is hard to find a brilliant listener. Yet listening is at the heart of good communication, which itself comes from the Latin “communis” meaning shared understanding. Who will you make of point of listening to today, tomorrow, in future?
- “If you want your life to be a magnificent story, then begin by realizing that you are the author and everyday you have the opportunity to write a new page." - Mark Houlahan. And what better time to start those pages than the start of the new year! Instead of allowing others to tell you what’s good for you and how to lead your life, think clearly about your goals in life, where you want to be in one, three, five and ten years time and start working towards them now. Think of the tiny tasks to take you to each great goal and put one on each page of your new diary and do them. Step by step you will get there.
I wish you all best wishes for the seasonal festivities, whatever festivity you celebrate, and a healthy, peaceful and proactive new year.
Lucy Seifert, Life Coach London.