How to raise your energy levels
It would be great if our energy levels were always high but the reality is we're all human and there are times when our energy dips. So what are some of the things you can do to increase your energy when you feel like the tank is emptying?
Fuel your body
- Spend time every day enjoying the powerful cleansing that comes from deep breathing exercises.
- Improve your cardiovascular fitness by increasing your levels of activity to allow your body to take in more oxygen.
- Make exercise fun and interesting.
- Put time aside to do activities you enjoy – alone or with friends.
- Make healthy eating a way of life.
- Drink at least two litres of water each day. Find a nutritionist to advise you on what food is the best fuel for you.
- There are loads of books/plans on healthy eating – find one that works for you.
- Pamper your body – spend time by yourself in the jacuzzi, steam room etc. You could also give yourself an extra special pamper on a regular basis by booking yourself in for a make-over, new hairstyle, massage or other beauty treatment.
- Have a go at 'alternative' forms of body care such as reiki, reflexology etc.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Wind down before going to bed and make sure your room is free from irritations and distractions.
Fuel your mind
Like your body, your mind also needs to be well fed from activities such as reading great books, participating in stimulating conversations and continuing to learn something new every day. The most powerful fuel of all for your mind is the thoughts that you think.
- Read up on the power of your mind – there are many books around that can help you to tap into the great power that lies within your own mind.
- Make a wish list – it's always good to have some great visions and dreams floating around “out there”. Equally powerful is to write your dreams down – you’ll be amazed at the difference this can make to your life.
- Develop the use of your right and left-brain to release the potential within.
- Set yourself some great goals and commit them to paper – short, medium and long term.
- Think high quality thoughts – deal with the inner critical voice that so often negatively affects your mental well-being.
- Develop positive affirmations to create positive paradigms that your subconscious mind will use for guidance.
- Choose inspirational readings each day to keep your mind focused and uplifted. (Subscribe to an email newsletter and receive motivational messages daily).
- Display visual messages around you in the form of uplifting and powerful words and/or pictures.
- Pay close attention to what you fill your mind with through TV, music, films, reading, conversations, actions etc.
Fuel your spirit
- Listen to your favourite music or sing your favourite songs (and learn some new ones).
- Lift your spirits with laughter – get together with friends who make you laugh, read a funny book, see a comedy show. Laughter is a powerful healing agent.
- Have a good cry – this can make the world of difference by freeing pent-up emotions and unblocking energies that prevent your spirit from fully experiencing joy. (Read a sad book / watch a sad movie etc).
- Be outrageous! Fuel your spirit by doing something wild and extravagant. Treat yourself like you would the most attractive, thoughtful, caring, funny and sexy person you could meet. You could buy an extravagant present, go to a restaurant for dinner and pretend it’s your birthday, buy a colouring book and coloured pencils and invite friends over for a colouring contest. Think of your own outrageous and wild things you could do to free your spirit and write them down so you can use them on one of your less creative days to lift your spirits!
- Try something you haven’t done before. You could learn to tango, write a story, paint a picture, paint a room in a bold colour, get a completely different hairstyle/a new look. Live loud sometimes – your spirit needs it.
- Do something you have always wanted to do – book a weekend trip to a place you have always wanted to go, have a birthday party even when it’s not your birthday. Buy a journal and write down all the things you can think of that you would like to do but never have, like going to a restaurant and ordering dessert before the main course, or starting a hobby that you thought you’d never have time for. Is there a new career direction that you would like to go in? Start re-training.
The important thing in all of these lists is to choose something right away (or think of your own ideas) in each category and TAKE ACTION! Even if it is only a small action, it is important to do something right away.
Check the list of where you find your energy regularly – keep adding new ways of bringing more energy to your lifestyle and when you notice things starting to slip, take action and get back on track.
As you develop a healthier and more energised way of life you will feel more in control of who you are and how your life to going and you will be able to find a higher level of fulfilment in all that you do.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Scott Hay
"Scott was so easy to talk to, I felt he really listened and empowered me to take control and think about going for what you want and that I can achieve it. I CAN DO ANYTHING!. Thank you Scott! " - Youth Worker. I am an experienced Life Coach for teenagers, adults and organisations and am absolutely passionate about helping you to overcome whatever is currently getting in the way of you achieving … Read more
Located in Glasgow.
Can also offer telephone / online appointments.
To book an appointment, please get in contact: