How to get an interview in 2017
Have you been applying for jobs and not having any luck? Well I have to tell you that the goal posts have changed. No longer can you rely on only completing your CV and sending it off to numerous employers, hoping that this will get you an interview.
The canny employee needs to put themselves in the shoes of the employer and think how they would search for and find the perfect candidate to work in their organisation.
The following tips will help:
- If you use social media, Facebook, Twitter etc, ensure that there is nothing there that you would not want an employer to see. These days most employers will Google you!
- Ensure that your LinkedIn profile is up-to-date and that it highlights what it is about you that would make an employer choose you over other candidates, i.e. your unique selling point (USP). And include a professional looking photograph.
- Are there other ways you can expand your presence on social media in your given field: blogs, articles, and videos?
- You will likely still need a CV so ensure it is up to date, tailored to the job you are applying for, that there are absolutely no errors in grammar or spelling, and that it has a well written personal profile that grabs attention. Also don't forget to mention your achievements in previous jobs or work experience, including figures where relevant.
- A well written cover letter will also help to get your foot in the door. There are lots of sites such as the National Careers Service (www.nationalcareersservice.direct.gov) which give advice on preparing CVs and cover letters.
- Do your research. Look for employers in your field, Google them and find out as much information as you can. Then call them or visit them, taking your CV, examples of your work etc and sell yourself.
- If you are young and have no work experience, consider apprenticeships or internships.
Don't give up. Yes, the goal posts have changed, there is more competition, and you will get rejected. But if you follow the above tips your chances of success will increase enormously. Good luck!
Find a life coach offering Career Coaching
or try our advanced search