Four simple words that can transform your career
Does perfectionism ever stop you from doing what you want to do? You don’t try something new in case it doesn’t work out. You worry that someone else might be disappointed in you if you don’t do well enough. Your anxiety levels increase as you become fearful of failing to reach the unattainable high standards you have set yourself. You really don’t want to fail so decide not to do it at all. You become reliant on four words, ‘I can’t do it’ and these are not the four simple words I am referring to that can transform your career. These four words form a wall that temporarily keeps you safe and blocks you from trying anything new.
How many times a week do you find yourself saying ‘I can’t do it’? These four words are easy to say and are commonly said amongst those who wish to change career, return to work or work towards a promotion but have developed a fear of failure. The benefit of using these words is that they initially provide a temporary wall between you and the unknown, keeping you safe from having to experience any anxiety and stress caused by trying something new. You feel comfortable when these words form an enclosure around you, so they can’t be that bad, can they?
What happens when your enclosed world isn’t working for you anymore, but you have overused the ‘I can’t do it’ phrase to the extent that they now form a permanent wall between you and all things new? They have placed unnecessary limitations on you and are blocking you from moving towards something new and something better. You want a job promotion that gives you satisfaction. You want to return to work and maintain a good work-life balance. You want to change career and find greater fulfilment in your work. However, none of this now feels possible. You feel the stress and anxiety you were initially trying to avoid and are struggling to achieve what you want to achieve. You can’t do it.
To succeed, you now need to remove this ‘I can’t do it’ wall and find a permanent route through.
‘I CAN DO IT’
The easiest way to find a route through and give yourself a chance of success is to replace your ‘I can’t do it’ phrase with ‘I can do it’. All you have to do is remove ‘can’t’ and replace it with ‘can’ - it’s that simple.
This simple four-word phrase, ‘I can do it’, will weaken the ‘I can’t do it’ wall. The more you say it, the weaker the wall will become, and it will eventually collapse completely. You will then be free to move towards career transformation, having found your route through to success.
Here are 4 simple steps to help you:
1. Become aware of how many times in one week you say, ‘I can’t do it’. Make a note of what caused you to say it and what you then did to act on the belief ‘I can’t do it’. Ask yourself the following questions; 'How did this make you feel?', 'Is it 100% true?', 'What would a good friend say?'.
2. Replace ‘I can’t do it’ with ‘I can do it’. ‘I can find a job’, ‘I can get that promotion’, ‘I can change career’. Keep saying it like a broken record!
3. Be kind to yourself and set achievable high standards. What is more important to you, success, or perfection?
4. Give yourself a break and allow for some imperfection (remember, no one is perfect). What is the worst that can happen? By accepting that we all make mistakes, you can develop an understanding of how you can do it better next time.
5. Enjoy yourself and celebrate your achievements along the way. Recognise your achievements, all of them!
What small step can you take now to move towards career transformation? Do it now to start enjoying what you do and fulfilling your potential.
You can change your beliefs and you can achieve career success.
Find a life coach offering Career Coaching
All therapists are verified professionals.