20 Top Tips for a Better Work-Life Balance
• Plan one hour’s relaxation time for you into every day. Block it out in your diary.
• Get out into the fresh air for an hour every day.
• Delegate - at home or at work- get others to contribute. Don’t be a martyr.
• Say “no” - you don’t have to volunteer for everything you are asked to do.
• Seek out some solitude each day - time alone is energising.
• Plan a weekend event of some sort, or a day out, every 4-6weeks.
• Make a list of what you must get through in a day, or week, and what you would like to get through. Tackle the former and ignore the latter.
• Write a to-do list every night- and stick to it the following day.
• Get a cleaner if you can afford to for 2-3 hours a week.
• Internet shop for groceries- save yourself 2-3 hours a week.
• Turn off your mobile or screen your calls -don’t take work calls at home.
• Screen your landline calls. Let the answerphone take calls that are not urgent.
• Don’t check your work emails when you are not at work.
• Leave work on time at least two evenings a week.
• Have some FUN! Spend time with friends who make you feel good, or do something that makes you feel good, at least twice a week.
• Get a perspective - when you are frazzled, ask “Will this matter this time next week, next month, next year? If not, let go of the worry and anxiety.
• Take up a new hobby- September is a great month to start new classes and courses.
• Make one “healthy eating” change to boost your energy levels - such as reducing caffeine, alcohol, sugary snacks, or reliance on ready meals.
• Seriously consider a career-change, or working part time, if your job dominates your life and is affecting your health. There are always alternatives, even if it means a reduction in your income.
• Stop feeling guilty! Praise yourself for what you have achieved at the end of every day!
© Glynis Kozma Aspire Coaching August 2008
Not to be reproduced without permission and acknowledgment of the source.
Find a life coach offering advice on Work/Life Balance
All coaches are verified professionals.