Making Real Changes
Discover how to set goals that really work
1. Recognise the difference between what you want to happen and what you believe it will do for you.
2. Set the goal in clear realistic and recognisable terms in writing with an end in mind. You will then know when you have got what you want –and the feelings you want to have will follow.
3. Attainable – possible with what you already have
Measurable – quantifiable
Accurate – specific measurable
Zoned – end in mind
Exact – use all your senses
Write the goals down and keep a journal or record of actions taken on a daily basis
• Having too many goals – start with one
• Only knowing what you don’t want – describe in detail exactly what you do want
• Wanting things over which you have no control
• Wanting an emotion – not an end result
5. Habits. Break the habit of not achieving goals by having something better to put in its place. Doing nothing to change your life is simply a habit – nothing more.
Make a list of new daily habits that are specific and measurable and put them in your diary. Schedule them in.
6. Mood triggers. Identify what, who and when you respond by over-eating or drinking or feeling negative. Interrupt the connection. Do something different.
7. Ask what else will change in my life when I succeed?
8. Variations in the journey to the goal are not setbacks – they are deviations- keep revising your route.
9. Fear of succeeding! Focus on the benefits of change not on possible problems.
10. Have a daily walk of 10 minutes – this fires off serotonin, thefeel good factor, in your brain.
11. Drink plenty of water – often thirst is confused with hunger.
12. Clear out reminders (anchors) of your old habits – this signals to your unconscious that you are ready to change old habits.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Jo Painter AC, Dip LC, NLP Prac, MRPharmSJune 15th, 2018
Alex Kergall - High Performance Coach -June 16th, 2018
Kaidi Bowen, ICF Member, Business & Life Coach, Synergy Coaching and ConsultancyJune 7th, 2018
Most viewed articles
Teresa NorrisJuly 11th, 2016
Jo Painter AC, Dip LC, NLP Prac, MRPharmSJuly 12th, 2015
Aim To Be, Life & Business CoachingJuly 19th, 2010