Vanessa Hitchmough Dip.TC
Hi, I’m Vanessa. I work as a Therapeutic coach which means that I combine the ability to help you decide what your goals are and how to reach them, with the capacity to listen at a deep level to your emotional challenges. I have spent most of my life supporting people to be a success (as a Personal Assistant to a number of high flying Executives, a hands on Mum to two kids and, now, a coach). As a result of the first two roles, I believe that I understand the challenges and tensions that arise in both a business environment and within a family. Now, having trained as a therapist and a coach, I also possess a range of technical toolkits to help people when they feel stuck.
WHAT IS COACHING?
A coaching session is a non-judgemental and confidential space in which coach and client can collaboratively explore a client’s thoughts, feelings, challenges, ideas and goals. It is a uniquely empowering way of bringing about greater self-awareness, which can enable a deeper level of personal understanding and choice.
WHAT IS MY PERSONAL STYLE?
My personal coaching style is founded on the following beliefs:
- I have a strong belief in the positive nature of all human beings;
- I believe in the uniqueness and worth of every human being and that we all deserve respect for our capacity to choose our own directions in life;
- When you work with me, I hope you will feel heard and understood;
- We will work collaboratively to establish the goals that are important to you and to examine possible barriers to growth and how you might transcend them.
Below are some issues I have helped clients with:
- Feeling overwhelmed by issues at work, at home, with their health;
- Feeling stuck in unhealthy and self destructive patterns of behaviour (eg over eating, drinking too much, gambling, self harming);
- Dealing with profound life changes (eg becoming a parent, separating from a partner, children leaving home, going through the menopause, redundancy);
- Dealing with loss (eg death of a loved one, aging).
Training, qualifications & experience
I have an Accredited Diploma in Transformational Coaching from Animas coaching (approved by the International Coach Federation) and over 5 years of Psychotherapy training:
- Birkbeck, University of London (1 year course) - Introduction to Counselling
- Metanoia Institute, London (3 year course) - Person Centred Counselling
- 2.5 year counselling placement at a local Women’s Centre doing long term work (6 months to 2.5 years)
- 3 year counselling placement at the University of Roehampton working with both male and female students in a short term context (6-8 sessions)
I am fully qualified to implement the Paradigm Personality Labs WorkPlace Big Five profile and the SchoolPlace Big Five profile Psychometric tests. The WorkPlace Big Five Profile is a proven system for identifying and describing individual personality traits that determine human behaviour. It increases your understanding of how personality can both obstruct and enhance work and personal relationships. The assessment is based on the Five-Factor Model of personality and is one of the most psychometrically robust tools on the market. The SchoolPlace Big Five Profile helps students build self-awareness and to better understand their strengths and weaknesses as they relate to personal relationships, academic performance and future career paths.
Areas of coaching I deal with
Other areas of coaching I deal with
Unhealthy and self destructive patterns of behaviour
- over eating
- drinking too much alcohol
- self harming
Dealing with profound life changes
- becoming a parent
- separating from a partner
- children leaving home
- going through the menopause
Dealing with loss
- death of a loved one
Please contact me via my email address to arrange a free 30 minute consultation. This will give us a chance to meet face to face and to chat about the issues that you would like to explore and to ask me any questions.
- I charge £65 per hour (60 minutes) for coaching.
To carry out the WorkPlace Big Five or SchoolPlace Big Five profile Psychometric tests, produce a written report and have a coaching session to explain your results in depth, I charge £245.
Esther M, private client:
‘I feel much better about facing this new stage in my life; I was hoping to feel better about myself and start dating again after separating from my husband in September 2016. Vanessa is a fantastic listener. She helped me see that I am capable of handling this new phase and that I will be able to handle any problems. Vanessa helped me see that I am ready and I am worthy of this next stage in my life. With her encouragement I can now say with confidence that I am ready and looking forward to facing new challenges. It has been great working with Vanessa’.
Gregory E, private client:
I really found that after working with Vanessa my thinking seemed less blurred and I was able to focus on what needed doing. Vanessa has a lovely manner about her which is a great start to us getting along. She has a really good way of talking to people and I really felt understood. She also talked with confidence and has a real belief in what she was saying’.
Anna C, private client:
I found Vanessa to be really clear and concise. She made me feel at ease and motivated to make some positive changes. I set the goal that I wanted to lose weight. I lost half a stone and feel really pleased with what I have achieved with Vanessa’s coaching. I would recommend Vanessa as I found her really approachable and personable. I found it incredibly easy to talk to her and she challenged my way of thinking which I found motivating and insightful. My experience of life coaching with Vanessa has been really valuable. I would definitely use Vanessa again for a different life goal. Vanessa’s strengths are that she is friendly, approachable, personable, curious, motivating, a great listener, knowledgeable and she has an active working style’.
Feedback from Diploma assessor on one of my coaching sessions:
‘Vanessa displays a keen sense of curiosity about the client. She uses this both to better understand the client’s situation and also to help the client explore her own circumstances in quite some depth. Given that this is the first session, there appears to be a very trusting relationship and the client is open and happy to discuss what could be very sensitive topics. To an outside observer, the coach has a warm demeanour and excels at putting the client at ease. The coach is adept at asking very short, simple and open questions that are easy to understand and facilitate self-exploration’.