EMCC UK | Coaching for Creatives
Every professional displayed on Life Coach Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Life Coach Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
I’m passionate about helping early/mid-career creative people (writers, artists, musicians, freelancers, owners of self-employed creative businesses, etc.) to make more progress with long-term goals - so that you feel like you're no longer struggling or frustrated in your creative endeavours, but actually thriving.
We'll do this by brainstorming possible paths forward that really suit you, and making concrete, actionable plans for next steps and good habits that you feel genuinely inspired and motivated to pursue. I help creative people get organised and harness energy in a focused, strategic direction.
Coaching leaves you better supported. Here are some of the tangible benefits of working with a creativity coach:
- Productivity – an “accountability buddy” to ensure you stay motivated, manage time well, and finish projects that are currently stuck
- Increased confidence – quieten your inner critic, understand your strengths and how to maximise them
- An ally who can help you bounce back from rejections and cope with struggles that arise
- Finding a better balance between work, personal life and your creativity
- Becoming more organised, with clearer priorities, more actionable plans and more positive habits
- Deepening your knowledge of the creative industry in which you’re working, and figuring out how to earn more money from your creativity
- Help with building a stronger network of allies and contacts
- Figuring out how to create social impact, find your work more meaningful, or find your specific path in the world as a creative person
- Smarter success strategies for getting your projects and ideas out into the world and shared more widely with others.
Types of Clients:
I've been working in group settings since 2011, facilitating people's writing and general creativity, for over 15 different educational organisations and charities, and working with people from diverse backgrounds and all levels of experience. In 2015, I began working one-to-one with clients, and in 2019 then expanded into working one-to-one with freelancers, musicians, artists, educators, and self-employed creatives, as well as writers. I do have a particular interest in helping creative people who are:
- actively trying to complete a major project (or get underway with something new), and finding it tricky
- OR wanting to reach a wider audience with their creative ideas
- OR hoping to earn more money from their creative career
- OR wrestling with questions about the meaningfulness, value, or impact of their endeavours
- OR struggling to get organised and feeling overwhelmed by juggling too many interests and competing priorities
- OR wanting to say no to the mainstream and do things their own way
How it Works:
A typical coaching session lasts 60 minutes (over Zoom/Skype/telephone, or face-to-face), or can be conducted by weekly email exchange.
Our work will often be focused on identifying clearer goals, fully understanding the challenges you're facing plus your particular strengths, and brainstorming possible paths forward that really suit you. A significant outcome from our sessions will be tangible, actionable plans for next steps and good habits that you feel genuinely motivated to pursue.
I began my career initially in business, including working as an international strategy consultant for clients such as Procter & Gamble, Coca-Cola, and American Express. Then I had an epiphany of sorts and left that life behind in 2001 to become a published poet, fiction writer and freelance tutor, before moving into mentoring and coaching. So my life has straddled the practical world of business AND a purely creative arena where play, innovation, expression and joy are the focus.
Think of our work together as a solution-focused chat with an informed creative ally. It’s as simple and as powerful as that!
Training, qualifications & experience
- Accredited Certificate in Narrative Practices in Coaching (Animas Centre for Coaching)
- Certified Creativity Coach (Creativity Coaching Association)
- Facilitator Development: Leading Adult Learning (Institute of Education)
- Introduction to Transactional Analysis (Herts R.I.T.E.)
- Developing Effective Group Facilitation (The Gestalt Centre)
- Certificate in Personnel Practice (BPP College)
- MA Creative Writing (Kingston University)
- Level 2 Certificate in Initial Counselling Skills (City & Islington College)
- Working with creative practitioners as a facilitator since 2011.
- Published author of fiction and poetry since 2011 (HappenStance Press, V. Press, Ad Hoc Fiction, Bamboo Dart Press)
- Creative Residency, The Studio, Bath Spa University (April 2022-ongoing)
- Specialist Visiting Lecturer, BA Film, Bath Spa University (2018-ongoing)
- Arts Council/National Lottery Project Grant Funding Award (2021)
- Kingston University Enterprising Business Award (2011)
European Mentoring and Coaching Council (EMCC)
EMCC UK is part of the Europe-wide European Mentoring & Coaching Council.
Together their aim is to promote good practice and the expectation of good practice in mentoring and coaching across Europe.
EMCC is an independent, impartial and non-profit making organisation.
Areas of coaching I deal with
From £56.00 to £75.00
Free initial telephone session
- £65 for 60 minutes
- £75 for 90 minutes
- I offer a free 20-minute introductory 'Clarity Call' in which you can ask questions and identify possible initial paths forward
- A block of five 60-minute sessions can be booked for £280 (£56 per session)
- Ongoing support by email instead of face-to-face/Zoom/Skype/telephone – £65 for four weeks
When I work
Standard availability - Tues, Wed, Thurs (+ Mon eve)
- for online sessions: 11 a.m. - 7.30 p.m.
- for face-to-face sessions: 9.30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Alternative times can be agreed upon request.
"My experience working with you has been extremely beneficial... Through your encouragement and suggestions I developed some excellent tools to resolve self-doubt and negative patterns and to deepen my creative work... Overall I gained conviction in my process, my work, a stronger sense of self and artistic direction and have resumed an effective creative practice. Thankyou!" (J.S., artist)
“Michael is a friendly, skilled and supportive coach... Our sessions are always fun and enlightening. He has helped me bring greater focus and structure to the nitty gritty of getting work published and helped me formulate and, more importantly, stick to short-term goals. I couldn’t think of a better person to work with.” (S.N., musician and writer)
"Thank you for all your help - it's been a brilliant and valuable experience at a really crucial time. You enabled me to gain some real insight into what is and isn't conducive to my happiness and creative productivity, and encouraged me to introduce some changes that are realistic, sustainable, and which I'm sure will have a long-term positive impact." (L.F., artist and creative educator)
"Michael’s coaching sessions came along at exactly the right time. He is an excellent listener and his advice enabled me to focus on my priorities and goals and most importantly to believe in my writing." (D.S., writer)
“Michael's coaching has enabled my writing life to progress faster in the past few months than it had in years of working on my own... My confidence on a personal and creative level has increased far beyond what I would have been capable of without his wisdom and expertise.” (K.W., writer)
"Before starting these sessions, creatively I was completely lost. I'm happy to say Michael has a gentle, respectful and insightful way, and he made me realise lots of positive things about myself… my creativity is in full flow, leading to opportunity and productivity. One very happy Creative!" (L.S., musician)