I work with people who are experiencing overwhelm, crisis or troubled times and help them to find meaning and a way forward through the practice of soulmaking.
Soulmaking is a creative and empowering approach to the challenges that life brings us. It “isn’t about curing, fixing, changing, adjusting, or making healthy, and it isn’t about some idea of perfection or even improvement” (Thomas Moore, Care of the Soul) – rather it is about craft, growth and imagination.
I use bibliotherapy and journal therapy as the primary tools for this transformational work. Bibliotherapy uses tailored reading and journal therapy uses expressive writing to explore thoughts and feelings – together these practices enable you to cultivate your soulmaking and to navigate through troubled times.
Here are some examples of issues we may explore:
- unblocking creativity
- discovering purpose
- developing one’s voice
- handling transitions
- trusting oneself
- coping with crisis
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Transformational Coaching (Animas Coaching)
- Diploma in Journal Therapy (Centre of Excellence)
- BA English Literature (University of Iowa)
- MEd Children’s Literature (Xavier University)
- MSc Information Analysis (Robert Gordon University)
- Member of Lapidus UK (promoting writing for wellness)
- Member of International Association of Journal Writers
- Inquiry-led Learning for Women (YWCA)
- Facilitators Training: Inner Action Workshop (Rising Women Rising World)
- Whole-Hearted Approach to Change (Common Cause)
- Coaching Skills and Models (Advance Coaching)
Imagining the Future: Systems Leadership (IRISS)
- Art of Hosting Advanced Practice (Art of Hosting Network)
My professional experience includes researching, writing and editing educational texts and software; running conferences and seminars; creating websites and developing information and communication networks; facilitating workshops; and setting up a business. My personal experience includes immigrating to Scotland from the US; raising a daughter as a single parent; and surviving/navigating the mental healthcare system. I co-edit Unpsychology Magazine, a journal responding to themes of psychology, soulmaking and ecology.
Areas of coaching I deal with
Other areas of coaching I deal with
£40 per individual one-hour session
£200 for a block of 6 one-hour sessions
Please contact me for a complimentary possibilities call, where we can discuss your needs and aspirations and decide whether/how to work together.