The Art of Procrastination
We've all been there, haven't we? On your desk in front of you is your 'to do list', and the one thing that you know will give you the best outcome today is the one that you really don't want to do!
It's said that 20% of what you do gives you 80% of the results. But it's also too easy to put it off and do something that you enjoy rather than something that stretches your comfort zone, worries you a little or makes you have a bit of a panic.
- Perhaps it's a phone call that you know you need to make.
- Maybe you have to write an article or website copy and you don't feel inspired.
- Or is it a proposal or document that you know will take you many hours and you haven't a clue where to start?
What's wrong with putting it off until tomorrow?
What is the worst that can happen if you don't do it today?
What happens if you never do it..?
When you're running a business, it is different from working for someone else. There is no one on your back to get things done and you have to motivate yourself to do the work and get results. There is an art to procrastination and there is also a way to make things happen if you are willing to do something different now!
Here are my top 7 tips:
1. Do one thing today that you don't want to do - and then review the benefits of getting that thing done and how you feel about it now.
2. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. So break all your big tasks into bite-sized chunks and do a little bit at a time.
3. If you are struggling to do everything that you know needs to be done, take a few minutes to prioritise the tasks and decide on those that are most important for your business.
4. Imperfect action is better than no action at all. What can you do today that makes a start towards something that is important for you to achieve?
5. Outsource or delegate the tasks that you know others can do better than you. If you can't do that right now, how can you make the activity rewarding or have something else that inspires you once you've got it done?
6. Put some effective boundaries and systems in place. Check your emails twice a day rather than every minute and turn off social media distractions. If you've a big project to do, give yourself the time and space to do it with ease.
7. Be aware of when you are procrastinating and schedule time in the diary to get it done, and then just do it! Also being accountable to a coach or mentor is a great motivator to get things done.
If you are really committed to achieving business success, rather than having an expensive hobby, you will have to do those things that you don't enjoy. But having a strategy to make things happen rather than letting things go will give you the results that you desire.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.