Success from your efforts – enterprise resilience in action
Enterprise is defined as any project or endeavour that requires boldness of effort. For us as individuals, this might mean our career, business, study or hobby. In fact, enterprise is anything that we focus our ambitions on – it might be considered an adventure!
There are some of us that feel anxious about starting to make that effort. It is clearly and empathetically understood in the coaching community that quite a few of us need to overcome those feelings. Acquiring that form of personal and interpersonal resilience can be achieved through counselling, quite comfortably. This article focuses on those who are ready to commit, but unsure of where to start.
Research show that resilience, or the ability to bounce back, is a function of several things, including the decisions that we take before we set out on our venture. In that respect, taking time to plan your enterprise makes good sense, captured in the adage that cautions against the opposite - "a failure to plan is a plan to fail".
Resilient enterprise planning includes:
- Designing your ideas and following through actions in a way that will get you started and give you success – early wins are always good.
- Ensuring that the plan is consistent with who you are (your values) and what you aim to achieve (your goals).
- That you can create spare capacity in terms of time, physical health, emotional strength and mental focus.
- Developing collaborative relationships with those who can support, challenge and encourage you on the journey.
- Having a healthy immune system that will cope with the rigours and stresses that any ‘bold effort’ requires.
A good place to start is with a review of your strengths, weaknesses, threats and opportunities, especially if that is done in conjunction with a coach. This will enable you to focus on what you can exploit and what you need to improve.
This can be followed by a review of your resources, of which your ability to handle the stresses and strains of taking actions can be assessed. This results in a goal driven action plan, with measures so that you can assess your progress and adapt.
The overall purpose of your planning is to give focus to your ideas, maintain and sustain the effort that you put in, and have enough foresight to build in the ability to adapt, as needed. That will give you the best chance for a resilient enterprise.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Keith Abrahams
Keith Abrahams is an accredited professional coach, business lecturer and consultant who specialises in working with career and senior staff development.… Read more
Located in London and Stevenage.
Can also offer telephone/online appointments.
To book an appointment, please get in contact: