Self-help books for stress, anxiety and other issues
16th December, 20140 Comments
This is a selection of some of the best self-help books to help you deal with stress, anxiety or other issues. Many of them are also useful if you intend to begin a more general process of personal development. I suggest to read with an open and critical mind.
Enjoy your reading adventure!
• "Ten steps to positive living" by Windy Dryden: this book is a self-help introduction to an effective and rewarding CBT philosophy that allows you to live better. A must-read, brief and engaging. Without doubt one of the best resources available on the market!
• "Feel the fear and do it anyway" by Susan Jeffers: one of the milestones of self-help. Simple and reader-friendly, this book is helpful if you experience any kind of fear or difficulty.
• "The anxiety and phobia workbook" by Edmund J. Bourne: an in depth companion to self-help techniques for anxiety and phobia. Based on evidence-based approaches like CBT and others, this book is extremely useful.
• "Overcoming social anxiety and shyness: a self-help guide using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques" by Gillian Butler: a very effective self-help CBT resource to cope with social anxiety, social phobia, shyness.
• "Letting go of anxiety and depression" by Windy Dryden: a short and well written book that suggests effective CBT strategies to deal with the two most common mental health issues.
• "Mindfulness: a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world" by Mark Williams and Danny Penman: this is the right book if you want to approach mindfulness practice. Thanks to a CD containing guided meditations, this text allows the reader to follow an eight-week program (developed by one of the authors through a research project based at Oxford University) that combines mindfulness and CBT.
• "Mindfulness meditation for everyday life" by Jon Kabat-Zinn: a short but consistent introduction to mindfulness, written by a medical doctor who first introduced mindfulness into western science (particularly CBT).
• "Reason to change" by Windy Dryden: this is a very useful workbook. It is aimed at guiding you through a self-help CBT process for emotional disturbances.
• "Nonviolent communication: a language of life" by Marshall B. Rosenberg: if the way you relate to other people proves to be stressful because of conflict and misunderstanding, this book teaches you how to communicate in a more peaceful and efficient way.
• "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie: another absolute self-help classic. If you find dealing with people stressful or frightening, this book is for you.
• "You can heal your life" by Louise Hay: probably the most popular book about healing. It is worth reading and it can help you changing your attitude about the world and being more positive.
• "The introvert advantage: how to thrive in an extrovert world" by Marti Olsen Laney: being an introvert can be quite stressful, unless you know how to deal with your disposition. This is an informative book that teaches you how to manage your introversion.
• "Authentic happiness" by Martin E.P. Seligman: this book is about happiness, satisfaction and well-being. The author is the founder of positive psychology, a scientific discipline dedicated to these topics. It is enlightening and helpful.
• "Emotional Intelligence" by Daniel Goleman: an extremely popular bestseller on the importance of emotions in our life. A must-read of personal development literature.
About the author
Giorgio is a qualified and experienced life coach and philosophical counsellor based in London. He has been practising CBT, mindfulness and other evidence-based methods of coaching and counselling with excellent results. Giorgio is a member of the Association for Coaching and a member of the National Counselling Society.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Jayne Cox - Coaching & Stress ManagementFebruary 14th, 2018
Rachel Coffey, BA, MA, NLP Mstr- Rachel Coffey CoachingFebruary 7th, 2018
Alison PrangnellJanuary 29th, 2018
Most viewed articles
Aim To Be, Life & Business CoachingJuly 19th, 2010
Jo Painter AC, Dip LC, NLP Prac, MRPharmSJuly 12th, 2015
Roksana Anning - Career, Interview, Confidence, Motivation, Redundancy coachingMarch 17th, 2015