Reasons people come for coaching
14th May, 20170 Comments
Reasons people undertake coaching are varied and difficult to pinpoint. It is well recognised now that senior managers are offered this where their value in the organisation warrants the cost and to develop promising employees future opportunities.
For you: The good news is that coaching is available to everyone! You can use it to develop yourself and your future opportunities outside an organisation.
For business: An organisation can benefit from supporting and developing their teams and employees with coaching in a variety of situations and levels or departments.
For society: The more you know the greater your personal power and the insights to help you build better social situations and circumstances, relate to yourself and others more effectively and compassionately.
- More aware and flexible staff able to adapt easily to changing situations and the needs of the company, its stakeholders and customers.
- Greater emotional intelligence allows for helpful relationships, and better communication.
- Communication skills will be enhanced which avoids misunderstandings, problems in teams and clear goals for all.
- Improved performance and commitment with stimulating personal goals for employees, value and purpose within the company and their role and using skills not specifically relevant in their current role or circumstances.
- Future proofing the staff team of the organisation.
- Less stress with change management and realigning goals or new services, new locations and changes in team management or function.
You will no doubt realise more benefits from coaching staff individually or in teams/group workshops perhaps. The benefits to the individual - meeting their own needs and values, flexibility with expectations and future goals, focus and loyalty which in turn benefits your customer service and generally makes your life easier as a manager or leader too!
Reasons and 'topics' people can use coaching to develop are
- Life coaching - Personal development, greater understanding and awareness, developing personal power to make informed choices, confidence and assertiveness for example.
- Career coaching - Finding the right fit or niche for your skills and interests, focus for training and ongoing development in your field, change management to a new role, career direction or company move.
- Performance coaching - For new managers perhaps, new staff, return to work can help people hit the ground running, and avoid reduction in performance and output.
- Relationship coaching - For couples, friends and family, colleagues and team building.
- Divorce coaching/love coaches - To help you manage relationships, find love and friendship too or recover and move on positively from unpleasant situations like divorce.
- Sports coaching - Allows people to improve their personal performance on the track or field, or become fit and healthier than before.
- Health and well-being - Weight management, exercise plans, eating well, mental health and more.
- Therapeutic coaching - More proactive support than counselling that aims to listen and reflect, whereas steps can be planned, tips offered and insights gained.
NLP (neuro linguistic programming) underlies coaching in the main, and focuses on communication, influence and removing unhelpful barriers that hold you back from exploring and achieving your potential
Coaching aims to help a person explore and develop their potential, understand their choices and options, create new and useful opportunities to enhance their skills, talents and utilise their interests and abilities.
With new perspectives, gaining insights into humans and their personal behaviours that allows for effective decision making and choices that will help and progress your personal goals step by manageable step.
New tools and techniques like vision boards and NLP, tolerance and understanding for others, better emotional intelligence that allows for better relationships and improves your personal and professional image!
Motivation and inspiration from your coach, from seeing you have more options than you thought and that you really can create a life you want to live and become the person you want to be!
As human beings - even animals too - we strive to become better all the time, it’s a natural drive to explore what we can do and what interests us, where it can take us and what we will learn. It's harder to avoid development than to embrace it - and coaching simply enhances it and brings so many benefits!
About the author
Julie Crowley is a Career Coach and Life Coach focusing on personal and professional development that meets our natural drive to grow, learn and improve - to thrive not just survive in life! Supporting, motivating and encouraging people to strive towards their goals she helps them to love their work, make the most of life and live their dreams.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Nico De Napoli - Life Coach - London SE1July 13th, 2018
Stephen Paul - Transformational CoachJuly 13th, 2018
Most viewed articles
Roksana Anning - Career, Interview, Confidence, Motivation, Redundancy coachingMarch 17th, 2015
Jo Painter AC, Dip LC, NLP Prac, MRPharmSJuly 12th, 2015