Reasons people come for coaching
It is well recognised that senior managers are often offered coaching, where their value in the organisation warrants the cost - in order to develop promising employees’ future opportunities.
But, coaching isn’t just for senior managers. Coaching can benefit a wide variety of people, in different job roles and the reasons those people undertake coaching are also very varied.
For you: The good news is that coaching is available to everyone! You can use it to develop skills to open yourself up to wider opportunities in the future, outside of an organisation.
For business: An organisation can benefit from supporting and developing their teams and employees with coaching in a variety of situations and levels or departments.
For society: The more you know, the greater your personal power and insights. This can help you build better social situations and circumstances, relate to yourself and others more effectively and compassionately.
What are the benefits of coaching?
- Staff that are more aware and flexible are able to adapt easily to changing situations and the needs of the company, its stakeholders and customers.
- Greater emotional intelligence allows for helpful relationships and better communication.
- Communication skills will be enhanced which avoids misunderstandings, problems in teams and clear goals for all.
- Improved commitment to stimulating personal goals for employees, can develop skills which are not specifically relevant in their current role or circumstances but improve performance nonetheless.
- Improves employees’ value and purpose within the company and their role.
- Future proofing the staff team of the organisation.
- Less stress with change management and realigning goals or new services, new locations and changes in team management or function.
You will no doubt realise more benefits from coaching staff individually or in teams/group workshops, perhaps.
The benefits to the individual - meeting their own needs and values, flexibility with expectations and future goals, focus and loyalty - will, in turn, benefit your company and generally make your life easier as a manager or leader too!
Reasons and 'topics' people can use coaching to develop are:
- Life coaching - Personal development, greater understanding and awareness, developing personal power to make informed choices, confidence and assertiveness for example.
- Career coaching - Finding the right fit or niche for your skills and interests, focus for training and ongoing development in your field, change management to a new role, career direction or company move.
- Performance coaching - For new managers perhaps, new staff, return to work can help people hit the ground running, and avoid a reduction in performance and output.
- Relationship coaching - For couples, friends and family, colleagues and team building.
- Divorce coaching/love coaches - To help you manage relationships, find love and friendship too or recover and move on positively from unpleasant situations like divorce.
- Sports coaching - Allows people to improve their personal performance on the track or field, or become fit and healthier than before.
- Health and well-being - Weight management, exercise plans, eating well, mental health and more.
- Therapeutic coaching - More proactive support than counselling that aims to listen and reflect, whereas steps can be planned, tips offered and insights gained.
- NLP (neuro linguistic programming) underlies coaching in the main, and focuses on communication, influence and removing unhelpful barriers that hold you back from exploring and achieving your potential
Coaching aims to help a person explore and develop their potential, understand their choices and options, create new and useful opportunities to enhance their skills, talents and utilise their interests and abilities.
How can coaching help support business need?
As human beings, we strive to become better all the time. It’s a natural drive to explore what we can do and what interests us, where it can take us and what we will learn. It's harder to avoid development than to embrace it - and coaching simply enhances it and brings so many benefits!
With new perspectives, gaining insights into humans and their personal behaviours, that allows for effective decision making and choices that will help and progress your personal goals step by manageable step. New tools and techniques like vision boards and NLP, which increase tolerance and understanding for others as well as better emotional intelligence, allow for better relationships and improve your personal and professional image.
The motivation and inspiration gained from your coach can help you to create a life you want to live and become the person you want to be!
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Julie Crowley
Julie Crowley is a Career Coach and Life Coach focusing on personal and professional development that meets our natural drive to grow, learn and improve - to thrive not just survive in life! Supporting, motivating and encouraging people to strive towards their goals she helps them to love their work, make the most of life and live their dreams.… Read more
Located in Oldham and Manchester.
Can also offer telephone/online appointments.
To book an appointment, please get in contact: