Five ways to overcome setbacks
Are there times when you have been working hard to achieve something, yet despite your best efforts, this is still not enough. It can be like running through mud, using up all your energy but not getting very far! Experiencing a setback can be really demotivating and stressful, making it easy to become unstuck and despondent.
If you are experiencing a setback, you are not alone. Many people have felt like this with their careers. Perhaps they worked hard for a promotion that was then given to someone else or they have spent hours searching for a career change and are still not sure what career would best suit them. We all experience times when we feel like little progress is being made and this can be tough to deal with.
As setbacks are part of life, it is important to be able to adapt and cope with the situation you find yourself in to enable you to move forward and limit any feelings of stress. Let me take you through some steps to help and encourage you:
- Attitude: Remember, how you feel influences how you think and behave. Accept that you are having a setback and that you can get through it. You have got through setbacks before, you can do it again.
- Change: Make some changes to your daily routine. If something isn’t working, try something different. The smallest changes can make a big difference to your thinking and motivation.
- Support: Seek out people who can support you. This can include professional support.
- Positivity: End the day on a positive note and identify something you have achieved, feel proud about and are grateful for.
- Flexibility: Review your progress and be flexible in your approach to enable you to continue making the necessary changes to meet your goals.
Don’t let setbacks hold you back from achieving what you want to achieve. Remember, you may not experience big changes overnight but small achievements lead to bigger achievements. Be patient, be positive and be flexible and things can and will change as you discover different opportunities and identify what best works for you.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Tessa Armstrong
As an experienced career coach, trained in coaching and NLP, Tessa specialises in helping individuals achieve the best career for them, covering all aspects of career and career development coaching (including career change, job hunting, returning to work, confidence, performance, corporate, legal sector, redundancy and more).