Are you scared of “Putting yourself out there?”
1st December, 20140 Comments
Written by: Jo Painter AC, Dip LC, NLP Prac, MRPharmS
When you put yourself, your ideas, your skills out there for others to observe and judge it can be terrifying. They’re no longer just your thoughts and ideas but a part of you that you’ve made public instead.
It’s this fear of criticism or rejection that prevents people from having the confidence to “put themselves out there”. As a result many great ideas and opinions never get seen.
So if you have a blog, a dream, an idea, an interview, an opinion, a talent that your keeping hidden due to your fear of failure or success, read these tips to help you have the confidence to step out into the spotlight.
1. Remember your self-worth. This means that your opinion as an individual is just as valid as anyone else’s. Even if your view flies in the face of what others think, your ideas are still valid and so deserve to be heard.
2. Forget the excuses. We can all come up with reasons why we shouldn’t do something. I’m too old, it’s been done before, it costs too much, what if they hate it, and so on.
3. Go with your gut. If your instinct is telling you that you can do that job, that your writing is great, or that you should promote your business. Then go for it. No one else is as much an expert on you as you are.
4. Don’t be a perfectionist. If you wait until your idea or you yourself are perfect then you’ll be waiting a very long time. Needing to be perfect is just a way of procrastinating and putting off action. Good enough is good enough, there is no perfect.
5. Let go. The difference between thinking about doing something and actually doing it is simply “letting go”. You need to let go of the need for others to validate your work, the need to prove yourself to others, or the need to be seen as successful. Then you are “putting yourself out there” to express yourself and for your own satisfaction. I can’t think of a better reason than that.
About the author
Jo is a passionate and experienced confidence coach who specialises in supporting individuals to develop the self esteem and confidence they need to get the best out of their lives.
She will help you build you're self esteem and confidence, so you can identify and make the changes you want in your life.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Nick Thorpe - Life Coach & AuthorMarch 10th, 2018
Louise CreswickMarch 8th, 2018
Anita Sawyer Vasan Transformational Life CoachMarch 9th, 2018
Most viewed articles
Aim To Be, Life & Business CoachingJuly 19th, 2010
Jo Painter AC, Dip LC, NLP Prac, MRPharmSJuly 12th, 2015
Roksana Anning - Career, Interview, Confidence, Motivation, Redundancy coachingMarch 17th, 2015