Mental Health First Aid 2 day accredited training
Our adult MHFA two day course qualifies you as a Mental Health First Aider.
Mental Health First Aiders have:
- An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing.
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues.
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress.
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening.
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support - whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix.
What to expect
We limit numbers to a minimum of eight people and a maximum of 16 people per course, so that you can feel safe and supported while you learn.
You will get an MHFA manual to keep and refer to whenever you need it. When you complete the two days you'll get a certificate to say you are a Mental Health First Aider. This can take up to two weeks to arrive.
Learning takes place across four manageable sessions. Through a mix of group activities, presentations and discussions, each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan.
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan.
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues.
- Stigma and discrimination.
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression.
- Risk factors for depression.
- Depression in the workplace.
- Suicide figures.
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health.
- First aid for suicidal crisis.
- Non-judgemental listening skills.
- First aid for depression.
- Treatment and resources for depression.
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders.
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event.
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders.
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders.
- Cognitive distortions and CBT.
- Personality disorders.
- Eating disorders.
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA
Does the venue have disabled access?
Cannington Court has accessible parking bays which we can book in advance - the distance between the parking bay and entrance is less than 40m. The training room has a lift straight into the room.
Do I have to attend both days?
Yes. This course is a 16-hour course so both days are non negotiable.
Is my registration fee or ticket transferrable?
No - it's sadly not transferrable.
Is it ok if the name on my ticket or registration doesn't match the person who attends?
No - the booking name needs to be the same as the person who attends for registration purposes.
Can I get a discount?
If you are a SME based in Sedgemoor then we have a limited number of discounted tickets thanks to Sedgemoor Distict Council Small Grants Sceme values at £50 off the ticket price. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to apply for one of these places.
Will I automatically pass the course?
No - it's important that the whole course is attended, not the start and finish times on each day. We expect all participants to mirror the values of Mental Health First Aid and participate fully in the two day workshop.
Please park using the park and ride Playing Fields Rodway Cannington, TA5 2PJ (note there are two park and rides in Cannington so make sure you have the Sat Nav with TA5 2PJ).
To comply with our commitments please ensure that you use the Cannington Bypass as indicated on the map and NOT through the village.
A shuttle service to and from the park and ride is available. Cannington Court is also a 10 minute walk.
Cannington Court reception - 01278 487 401/7425
Cannington Court welcome message
Welcome to Cannington Court. We want you to enjoy your time here at this EDF Energy facility. Our professional and friendly staff are committed to making your stay both enjoyable and comfortable.
Here at Cannington Court we pride ourselves in supporting EDF Energy’s Zero Harm Policy.
Any feedback and suggestions are welcome for improvements to our services; please complete the feedback form, which are in your meeting / training room, accommodation or reception.
Transport (Monday to Friday)
Park & ride shuttle: 07:00 – 11:00 and 15:00 – 18:00
(and between 11:00 – 15:00 upon request)
Taunton rail station: upon request
Bristol airport: upon request
Why do you not offer a refund?
This course is being organised with a limited run up before Christmas. It can only run if we have a minimum of eight people. If the week before the course we do not have eight people then the course will be cancelled and all course costs returned.
Date and time
Wed, 12 Dec 2018, 09:00 – Thu, 13 Dec 2018, 17:00, GMT.
Add to calendar
Location - Cannington Court, Church Street, Cannington, TA5 2HA
Becky Wright Director Of New Leaf Life Design And Emma Dempster Seddon Construction Ltd.
Organiser of Mental Health First Aid training two day accredited course.
Becky Wright and Emma Dempster are both Mental Health First Aid instructors. They will be delivering this Adult MHFA courses in the Somerset area. They both believe there should be parity of esteem between physical and mental health. They have both been trained.
About Becky Wright
Becky Wright is an accomplished and highly regarded trainer. She delivers a range of engaging motivational and educational presentations, at national conferences, and to businesses. She is a MBACP Snr Accred of the BACP, and a member of the Association for Coaching. A Mental Health First Aid Instructor with Mental Health First Aid England.