Does the word STRESS mean anything to you?
Stress, mean anything to you?
Stress is a word that is so commonly used these days, and its defined by each person in their own way.
Feeling stressed to one person could be considered as mildly under pressure by others. One persons stress is another’s motivation!!
The Oxford Dictionary describes Stress in the following ways:
- a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances:he's obviously under a lot of stress[in combination] :stress-related illnesses
- [count noun] something that causes a state of strain or tension:the stresses and strains of public life
I was having a conversation fairly recently during all the snow in the UK and we were discussing what was stressing us out (use the term loosely); She said "what's worse, being stuck at home because you are unwell and can't do anything, or trying to get to work in all this chaos?!"
She was right, there are definitely different trigger points, or those on the edge moments for each of us.
So I guess, my main point around this is:
What does ‘stress’ mean to you?
How do you know you are stressed?
What's got you feeling a bit stressed at the moment?
The third one is probably the easiest out of the lot to answer!
Let’s turn it into something more positive.
What is truly great about me and my life right now? This morning, this week, month or year
Write at least 3 (or more) bullet points of things that are truly marvellous in your life, things that you are really happy with. It’s really easy to get bogged down with what’s not great, whats frustrating you or creating problems.
I’ve been a bit wound up recently as I’ve had an injury which has prevented me from even being able to leave the house:
1. I can look out at the beautiful scenery around me without being freezing or ending up bruised (mainly freezing and bruised in ice and snow!)
2. I've seen my husband lot’s more than I would normally (although this in itself has its own stressors!)
3. And finally I've been able to do lots of reading, I've really missed reading, I've just been so busy it was one of the pleasures that escaped me.
So you see, its easy to get caught up in all the bad stuff and to forget about all the marvellousness around us.
Sometimes feeling a bit stressed is a good thing, as it spurs us into action but it’s important to remember that there is always (no matter how small or insignificant it might seem) something to be happy, grateful of, or positive about.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Susan Francis. Life Coach & Motivational TrainerSeptember 26th, 2016
Natasha Harris - Mindfulness & Transformational CoachingSeptember 21st, 2016