We become what we repeatedly do
Fourteen weeks tomorrow it’s the 1st January 2014.
So, another year, a new chapter, what will you do with it? Perhaps make a life-long desire a reality? Whether it's learning to play a musical instrument, a new language, changing your career, finding love, becoming a parent or reinventing a whole new you. All you need to begin is a piece of paper (or how about starting a journal), a pen, focus and some time to embark on the following seven steps:
1. Do whatever it takes to feel incredible as your attitude will determine your success. Go for a walk, exercise, meditate, listen to your favourite music, have a candlelit bath!
2. Get honest about who you really are. Ask yourself: What does my best self look like? Who do I want to become?
3. Find clarity around what you really desire in your life by asking: What do I really want? What would you choose to do in your life if you could do absolutely anything with no limitations, no prospect of failure or no accountability to anyone? The answer is generally what you don’t want, which is a natural reaction and the next useful question is: What do I want instead?
4. Write a list of your desires, making sure they genuinely are your desires. Get intimate with your desires! Get real! Ask: What experiences do I want in my life? How much will they cost? What’s the investment? Who do I want in my life? What home do I want to live in? What car do I want to drive? How many times do I want to holiday and where do I want to go? Where do I want to shop? What would make the biggest difference in my life?
5. Our beliefs about ourselves and our life create our reality when we find evidence to support those beliefs. Create a belief for each desire by asking: What do I need to believe to (insert desire)? Answers may be ‘good enough, clever enough’. Then start building evidence to support those beliefs.
6. Create an affirmation around your beliefs for each desire. Write in the present tense ‘AS IF’ it’s already happened with an attitude of gratitude. For instance ‘It’s the end of 2014 and I’m so grateful I am now earning £4000 a month’ or ‘Its 29th June 2014 and I’m grateful I am wearing a gorgeous engagement ring from the guy who gets me'. Listen for any resistance and tailor your affirmation or the desire accordingly.
7. Take action! Repeat your affirmations daily with feeling, visualise your life as if you’ve achieved your desires, what will be going on around you, what will you see, hear, feel? Who's around you? Add yourself to the picture, add colour, sounds then ask ‘What inspired action am I prepared to take today, tomorrow, next week, next month to move me closer to my desires?’ Create your own ‘check off list – how am I doing with my habits this month’ chart (email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy).
Feeling overwhelmed? Watch this space as I will be taking you through this process step by step over the coming weeks. Next week: Creating and achieving your desires.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit ~ Aristotle
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Just Clarity CoachingOctober 22nd, 2016
Gemma McCrae - Prosperity KitchenOctober 18th, 2016
Most viewed articles
Aim To Be, Life & Business CoachingJuly 19th, 2010
Jo Painter AC, Dip LC, NLP Prac, MRPharmSJuly 12th, 2015