How Can I Get Where I Want To Be? Get Trekking!
As a life coach my role is to encourage those people who are not able to move forward in their lives to get to where they want to be. Sometimes it is difficult to know where you want to be as you not only do not know what path to take but need someone to help you explore the varying paths ahead. You may have had a trauma or just suffering from depression because nothing exciting happens in your life. There is always a yearning inside us all, something holding us back. Sometimes we just think about it and wish, never dreaming it could be brought out and explored.
I am a great believer in helping oneself but sometimes the path ahead is in the middle of a forest and you may not know which way to turn. In the end of the day, you need guidance from someone who will encourage you to explore. So, that is where a life coach can help. If you don’t seek out opportunities, they might never happen and the worst thing anyone can do is feel sorry for themselves looking around for others to help. If you do, you end up never ever being able to make a decision for yourself. I always believe that problems are an opportunity to learn and turn adversity into opportunity.
There are five main steps to take to start you on your trekking route:
First step: Recognising that you want to change, want to get out of a depression or recover from a trauma
Second step: Seek assistance from someone who can guide you through
Third step: Have the courage to move forward and do something
Fourth step: Think and plan the path to Success destination
Fifth step: Be determined to build confidence and start your journey
The route ahead
How does it relate to your life journey?
- First you have to want to take that path to Success.
- Then you have to get prepared to travel the route to Success.
- Seek advice and help to map out your route.
- Unless you join a group, you are on your own.
- Decide how far you want to go or it might be that you want to see where the route takes you.
- Paths can be smooth, bumpy, twisty, hilly, through brambles, nettles, narrow, wide or fields of livestock. Just like life where there could be a struggle, you might get stung, scratched or chased by a herd!
- The countryside can be quiet and you may not bump into many people so there may be no-one to ask the way if you get lost. You have to depend on your maps, and way markers along the way and be prepared to make a decision.
- There may be lots of turns. You have to decide which one to take.
- You may end up at a ‘T’ junction. ‘Do I go left or right?’
- You may be on a track which goes round in circles. Make a decision to get off.
- You may have to climb a hill, get over a style or come across a steep downhill slope. Be prepared for what is round the corner.
- Your haversack should contain some food, drink, helpful information, and a mobile phone in case the route is a long one and you really do get lost.
- If you do get lost you may have to retrace your steps and start again. By doing so you will have gained confidence and experience making the next journey easier because of what you have learnt.
- Your equipment may not be up to date. So you need to plan for the future. Do I have everything I need to move forward?
- You have travelled a long way and not made much progress. Ask yourself, ‘Do I need to take a fresh look at where I am going?’ Prepare for the future and what lies ahead.
- Sometimes the weather is bad and you have to fight your way through the rain. Learn how to cope with the unexpected. Be prepared with your ‘waterproof’.
- Sometimes the weather is beautiful, sunny, warm and the walk has been good. Good times are happening for you. Your hard work is achieving success!
- Sometimes the scenery is boring – Nothing to interest you and no clues for ideas. You need to change the scenery, look elsewhere.
- Sometimes the scenery is beautiful – Lots of ideas and opportunities to choose from.
- If you keep going, overcoming all the stumbling blocks, the storms, the depressing scenery, take the correct turns en route, walking into the warm, sunny beautiful scenery, with determination you will eventually arrive at the destination of ‘Success’.
Are you ready to start your ‘hike’ to the future yet?
Well! If you have some hidden ideas, some worries or just want to explore a possible change in your life, start thinking about doing something about it and see what opportunities you can find to fulfil yourdreams and desires. And, to help you on your way, why not take a short investigatory journey with a life coach.
If you need advice to get you started, contact me through Life Coach Directory
Mary Ankrett, Life Coach and Mentor
Based in Sutton Coldfield
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Just Clarity CoachingOctober 22nd, 2016
Gemma McCrae - Prosperity KitchenOctober 18th, 2016
Most viewed articles
Aim To Be, Life & Business CoachingJuly 19th, 2010
Jo Painter AC, Dip LC, NLP Prac, MRPharmSJuly 12th, 2015