5th September, 20150 Comments
Written by: Sue MacGillivray Life Coaching Solutions
12 (alternative) top tips to be more effective as a business leader.
- Cut your time reading emails - This is absolutely essential. Restrict perusing your inbox to a maximum of three allocated time slots per day.
- Have a great life outside of work - Get the balance right. Feel stimulated, challenged and passionate about the people, interest and goals you have at home.
- Run successful meetings - Make them work; short, smart, timely and effective. Have a bullet agenda. Follow up action points. Way too much time in business is spent by everyone just talking!
- Display compassion - Yes, compassion. Effective business leaders are kind. Are you? Respect is key. Full stop. Even in a disagreement. Connection, connection, connection.
- Find focus and motivation - Set goals for yourself professionally. List what you love about your job and have purpose.
- Talk to your staff - Ask the right questions to understand their thoughts, feelings, aspirations, ideas, weaknesses, concerns, development and training requirements. And listen. And then do something with that information. Always.
- Be emotionally intelligent - Be aware of the five key components: empathy, emotion management, self-awareness, self-motivation and relationship management. Seek professional help to work on the areas as required. Successful leaders are emotionally intelligent. It's proven time after time.
- Keep calm - Feeling in control equals calmness. Note your stress triggers. Don't raise your voice. Have strategies to relax: mindfulness, meditation, breathing, a space to take time out, music or water. Find yours.
- Reignite your spark - Remember what took you to your position. What magic do you need to create?
- Connect with who you work with - Understand their preferred way of working, thinking and communicating. Have acceptance. Adapt to their style for positive interactions.
- Deal with 'difficult people' - Understand that 'difficult people' are usually just different from us. Address challenges and underperformance immediately. Remain factual.
- Delegate - This comes from trust. And gives faith, respect and sense of value. You are not superman or superwoman!
About the author
Sue MacGillivray is a well-established, extensively experienced and highly regarded accredited Glasgow-based life and business coach. She is passionate about people and supporting them to be their best self. Along with her private practice, she is a corporate consultant and a regular media contributor. She also loves butterflies!
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Liam Collins Ba (Hons) - Expert Career Coach. Expert Relationship Coach.August 7th, 2017
Caroline Stagg: Self-awareness&Personal Intelligence. BScPsych. CPD accreditedAugust 15th, 2017
Most viewed articles
Aim To Be, Life & Business CoachingJuly 19th, 2010
Jo Painter AC, Dip LC, NLP Prac, MRPharmSJuly 12th, 2015