8 small steps to achieving personal success
16th January, 20140 Comments
Written by: Pavlenka Small LCdip BA Smallsteps Coaching
Success can mean so many different things to different people; passing an exam with flying colours, becoming a parent for the first time, becoming a home owner, being more confident or earning a six figure salary. Success is a very personal thing but whatever success might mean to you, if you feel you haven’t managed to achieve what you set out to achieve, you will undoubtedly feel frustrated and as if something is missing in your life.
So what is the art of success? It is often said that success breeds success and having the right attitude is certainly a major part of being successful.
Someone once stated that successful people tend to have the knack of doing things that failures don’t like to do. They may not like doing certain things but their strength of purpose becomes higher than their dislike of the task or situation.
It has also been said that it is the fear itself of a certain situation that is worse than the actual situation. However, so many people find it almost impossible to break through the fear barrier and face their demons.
Much of coaching is about asking the right questions, listening and empathising with the client and then devising goals and putting manageable steps in place, in order to make some positive and worthwhile changes.
Here are a few easy steps to guide you to achieving your own personal success.
- Have vision. Probably the most important aspect of success is deciding what it is you really want. Clarity and vision about what you are going to achieve will ensure you are focusing your efforts in the right direction.
- Accept responsibility. This puts you in a position of power and allows you to take control of the situation rather than letting it take control of you.
- Develop a positive attitude. Your outlook on life is crucial to your success since what you choose to focus on will become your reality. If you dwell on everything that is wrong in your life-then that is what you will find. Adopt the phrase: ‘positive thoughts will produce positive outcomes.’
- Ditch the self-limiting beliefs. Fear of failure is drummed into us at a very early age. We condition ourselves to believe that if something didn’t work out once or twice in the past, the same thing will happen again.
- Believe in yourself. I often share the following quote with clients who have low self-esteem and lack confidence: ‘Don’t overvalue what you are not and undervalue what you are.’ We are prone to undermine our capabilities but don’t settle for less as you are capable of achieving far more than you think.
- Develop positive relationships. Never underestimate the impact people have on you. Focus on the positive and supportive people you know and meet and hold back on those who drain your energy.
- Manage your time effectively. In order to make best use of you time, you need to have clarity of purpose. Develop systems that work for you and eliminate those that don’t. Easier said than done, but this is where coaching comes into its own!
- Set goals and commit to them. This is at the heart of any coaching process. List your goals for all areas of your life-work, family, ‘me time’- and decide what you want to achieve next week, next month, next year. Then, take the most significant step of all—TAKE ACTION!
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Erica Sosna - Career Navigation and New Business CoachNovember 28th, 2016
Yvonne Fernando NLP Master Practitioner & Life CoachNovember 28th, 2016
Most viewed articles
Aim To Be, Life & Business CoachingJuly 19th, 2010
Jo Painter AC, Dip LC, NLP Prac, MRPharmSJuly 12th, 2015