12 questions to help you with your career dilemma
30th December, 20140 Comments
Written by: Mark Anderson, Award Winning Career Coach
At this time of year many people are having serious discussions with loved ones about their career. Often these discussions can get quite emotional, especially if a few glasses of wine are involved, but when the hangover has eased, the reality of an unfulfilled career remains and action needs to be taken.
Unfortunately, come the end of January many people settle for the status quo and end up staying in jobs they hate, concluding that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Besides, we don't know what that 'other side' is, so how can we possibly make that change?
If you're determined that 2015 is going to be the year of change, here are 12 questions that can help you move forward:
1. If you're in the same job in 12 months time, what impact will that have on you and your state of mind?
2. If you're in the same job in 12 months time, what impact will this have on your work and life balance?
3. Think about the skills you're using in your current job. Do you enjoy using these skills?
4. Think about the values of the company you work for. To what extent are they in line with your own values?
5. What is important to you about 'work'?
6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
7. Are you doing what you believe in or tolerating what you are doing?
8. Are you a totally different person in work than you are outside of work?
9. If we learn from our mistakes, why are we so afraid to make a mistake?
10. When did you last have a really good day at work? How often do you get good days?
11. To what degree have you actually controlled the course of your career?
12. If not now, when?
About the author
Mark Anderson is a Career Coach who works with adults and young people to help them decide on the right career path for them.
Life Coach Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Anise Bullimore - Walk Coach LearnJune 21st, 2017
Most viewed articles
Aim To Be, Life & Business CoachingJuly 19th, 2010